Friday, September 25, 2020

Sausage and Italian bread stuffed peppers

Good Day everyone!

I just read a beautiful article about love.  It touched me very much especially today because even though I have had no desire to bake or cook most recently my hubby was a little bit out of the weather because of his recent oral surgery. 

A small gesture of kindness to those who we love is good for the soul. 

 Soft healthy meals.  Baked oatmeal today! French toast yesterday.
Small kind gestures speak mountains about what love is.

In a few days some pasta with either butter and Italian cheese or I’ll run a light amount of sauce to the pasta. Soups for sure.

Being in today playing nurse inspired me to do a little cooking for me as well.  I have lots of ingredients that I should be using and have been in such a slump so today's a good day to make a few meals to freeze.



So we both win!  I’m staying in so I’ll keep busy while he sleeps.

French toast yesterday, baked oatmeal today and this for me because playing nurse makes me hungry!

I don’t have an exact recipe for today’s meal on hand but do have one on the blog.  If you would like the recipe link let me know.  
Stuffed peppers.  Make them anyway you might enjoy them.

Mom's Italian meatless bread stuffing is the best.

 Check out my Italian bread stuffed peppers.  They are delicious!



 My grandfather on my mom's side of the family was from Naples, Italy and my grandmother was from Yugoslavia or now as it's referred to as Croatia. So combining flavors and favorites I am sure are how her recipes were created.  She passed these recipes on to her children of which my Mom was the 4 child out of 7 children.  Three daughters and 4 sons.

Today's version I didn't use a special recipe just ingredients I knew were in the stuffing my mom would use for her stuffed green peppers. Personal preference today would be red peppers.  Sweeter and not bitter as a lot of green peppers seem to be today.

I used an Italian bread stuffing for the larger pepper.  Several slices of Italian bread broken.  One egg beaten, butter and onion sauté and added to the bread, salt, pepper parsley and lots of Parmesan grated cheese .  Ps.  I ran low on Pecorino Romano so Parmesan will do.  I added Milk to hold all together.  The consistency should be workable and easy to spoon into the peppers.

I separated the bread stuffing into two small bowls and added cooked Italian sausage to one of the bowls.(I used already cooked ground sausage)

After  washing and drying the peppers I removed all seeds out of the large and small peppers   

I filled the largest pepper with the yummy bread stuffing.

I used 15 oz. can Kirkland brand organic sauce. First Place some the sauce in your casserole dish, then placed stuffed peppers. Add the remainder of sauce on top and a pinch of salt and pepper.

Top with lots of grated Pecorino Romano or Parmesan cheese.

 Cover and bake at  350 degrees for 60 minutes. 

Yes I tasted them both and they both are delicious.  My favorite is the meatless one but I’ll eat them all as will my family.

Enjoy!







 Moms bread stuffing recipe and I added some hot Italian sausage to part of it.









From my kitchen to yours,


 



 

No comments: