Tuesday, August 18, 2020

Easy Pierogi Lasagna Casserole: Busy families will love this!!





***Update: 6/15/2022

I used 6 medium skin removed potatoes ( cut in cubes and boil until tender in salted water.

When tender , drain add 2 T butter, approximately 3/4 cup or more milk and 2 cups cheddar cheese.  Beat until smooth. ****( easy short cut store bought mashed potatoes).




Save 1/4 cup for garnish.



I am working very hard at making some easy meals for all  busy families.  Today I was thinking about how Mom and Nana worked tirelessly making homemade dough for their Pierogi and as much as I love making their recipe; today I am making a Pierogi lasagna using Barilla pasta.  Using a few short steps you'll find this recipe to be a keeper.  Here goes!  You are going to love it!


You can substitute store bought mashed potatoes to make it more convenient.

A breeze using Barilla no boil noodles

Lay  noodles in warm water in a pan for approx. 5 minutes.  Drain well.  I pat each with paper towels before placing in dish.

Layer with butter, Barilla noodles, cheddar potatoes until all in box is used (13 x9) pan

Remove and pat to dry

Saute butter with onion until tender.

Layer

Ready to bake!


Happy Baking and Cooking from my kitchen to yours,









1 box(9 oz.) Barilla no boil lasagna noodles
1 pkg. refrigerated (22 oz.) Bob Evans Cheddar mashed potatoes(cooked according to directions)
Note:  For a fuller casserole use two pkgs. cheddar potatoes or you can cube 6 potatoes, boil until tender and season to your liking.
1 onion sliced thin
2 sticks butter or margarine
shredded cheddar cheese 
Place Barilla lasagna noodles in warm water for approx. 5 minutes.
In a sauce pan place butter and onion. Sauté until onion is tender.
In a 13 x 9 inch baking pan place 1/4 of butter onion mixture. Remove 3 sheets of noodles from water. Pat dry slightly. Place noodles in pan and top with 1/4 cheddar potatoes.**(Illustrations below) Continue layering and adding more cheddar potatoes and noodles until all is used. *Note: 1 box of  Barilla no boil noodles will make approximately  a 13 x9 inch pan.

Top with the remainder of butter onion mixture. Sprinkle some shredded cheddar on top and cover.

 Bake 350 degrees approx. 20 to 30 minutes. Set for a few minutes and enjoy!!!! 

Serve with a side salad if desired!!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

why use no bake noodles? this isn’t pierogie lasgana.
2 cups flour, 3/4 c sour cream, stick butter melted and 1 egg mix and let rest and roll out fresh then layer you don’t even have to boil. come on. this isn’t pierogies.

M. J. Vitelli said...

I think that is a great idea. I’d like to see your way done in a lasagna pan. I originally posted this years ago when I was starting my blog. At that time I was looking to post short cuts for people. I like your interest but I’d prefer your comment be put in a positive way. Thanks 😊

Anonymous said...

Thank you for this! Cooking Gluten and lactose free for 2 family members who love pierogis! Used the gluten free barilla noodles and made my own mashed taters and they loved it as did the rest of the family. ��

Kathy said...

My sister-in- law made this back in the 90s, she referred to it as Pierogi Lasagna as well. It’s like a semi-homemade recipe for busy families that still want peroxide’s. I’ve made it - it’s very good.
Your response to a classless “Unknown” was perfect. Only spineless people post derogatory comments without using their identity. Unknown gives the impression of being a know-it-all. There are many different versions of every recipe posted on every site. If you don’t like it, fine. Don’t make it. I will.

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thank you Kathy for your positive feedback. I appreciate it. I've been blogging for many years and I'm always open to opinions but I also know you can't please everyone which is OK too. Thanks again, M.j. :)

Unknown said...

I made this and my husband, son,and daughter loved it! I don't like noodles so I can't comment either way. Lol I saved this recipe to make again since the others loved it so much. Thank you!

Unknown said...

I make this at least once a month. I love how easy it is. I melt the butter with onion powder though. I don't like dealing with onions. Lol I'm so happy I came across this recipe!

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thank you so much. I love hearing comments about my posts. This one is a favorite. Onion powder is fine. What works for you is the best ingredient you can use..

Anonymous said...

Being of Polish descent, I love pierogi's and this recipe, however have you ever attempted to make it using sauerkraut instead of the potatoes. Please let me know. Thank you for your great recipes

Anonymous said...

Hi, I think that is a great idea. I'm sure any of the traditional fillings would work. I just made it this way as my family love potato cheese. Thanks for commenting. I appreciate all positive suggestions. M.j.

Anonymous said...

I like your Recipe Best

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thank you so much. I think so too!