Sunday, November 23, 2014

Sweet and Spicy Steak


I never know what to make for my grandsons.  Quite honestly they'll take fried or frozen anything and that really upsets me so when I get the chance to show them what good food is I go all out.  I usually make something that I hope they'll like with a meal and also with dessert.



I make one and only one meal.............and they'd eat it or not?.  No other choices.  When I was raising both of our children  that's the way it worked. Period....... No choices and they were expected to at least try a tablespoon of whatever vegetable I made and then if they didn't like it they didn't have to eat it for the time being. Eventually all worked out and they both eat just about any vegetable, meat, chicken or fish.

Now not my grandsons.........................I won't say anymore about it just that when they visit me and Poppy they eat what is on the table.  I am one who does make several items and yes they'll eat whatever I make, the youngest at times reluctantly.

 This one was new is a spin off of my baked steak recipe which they love.  The Sweet and Spicy steak recipe is posted below and according to our daughter she said everyone loved it.  p.s. I helped her out since she has been working some overtime and it's a nice way to get to see those wonderful grandsons.  They love spicy so it has a bit of a bite to it.  Enjoy! 

Brown in olive oil and garlic too!


I really love Tuttorosso tomato products.



2 lb. round steak cut in large size pieces
4 T olive oil or canola
1 glove minced garlic
1/2 tsp. dried or fresh basil
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. salt
1/4 to a pinch of Cayenne pepper depending on how much added heat you like)
4 T brown sugar (great addition for those who like a slight sweet taste).
1 large 28 oz. Tomato sauce
1 large 28 oz. Tomato puree

Lay steak out on a sheet of waxed paper and season with above ingredients for the exception of brown sugar.  Place oil in a large stockpot type pot.  I use one that can go into my oven as well.  You can make this recipe in a crockpot too!  I prefer to brown meat first though.  Once meat is browned add sauce and puree as well as brown sugar.  Simmer until steak is tender or  place in oven covered at 350 degrees until meat is tender. If using a crockpot for 5+ hours or more on low.

Serve on rolls or with a side salad or steamed broccoli.




No comments: