Friday, February 17, 2023

Italian stuffed meatloaf

I am updating this recipe because of a blogger issue.  My original post cannot be put in compose form.  I’m hoping this one comes through correctly.  Enjoy!

Today I will be re-posting one of my if not my favorite, meatloaf recipes.  I have passed it on to a lot of friends and everyone seems to enjoy this version. 

Note to all:  If you don't want to make homemade stuffing you can use any brand stove top  stuffing    It will work fine as a substitution.





My Dad loved stuffed meatloaf and honestly when Mom didn't have the time she'd use Stove top stuffing instead of her homemade stuffing . (Don' hesitate to use box stuffing. It does speed up your meal).  

Today I did her recipe but put it in a baking dish (stuffing first and then topped it with meat mixture. (She used to put her meat mixture on the bottom of the dish and then put her stuffing and then top it with the remainder of the meat.. I decided to try it a little different. It baked quickly, about an hour or a little more.  My meat was under 1 lb.  

Delicious Dinner Meal.  Nice for entertaining a small group.  Serves 4 medium portions.  Enjoy!  Happy Cooking!!!!

Ingredients for meatloaf: 
   
¾ to 1 lb. ground pork (beef or turkey can be substituted)
1 egg
½ cup bread crumbs (regular or seasoned) I used garlic herb
1 small onion grated( you can use onion powder)
1 clove garlic minced
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried parsley
pinch pepper
½ cup milk

Topping: 
1 to ½ cups marinara sauce (jarred or homemade) I used my homemade easy recipe)
¼ cup mozzarella for garnish

Meat Mix 

In a medium bowl place meat, breadcrumbs, egg, onion, garlic, parsley, milk, salt and pepper.  Mix together.  Set aside.

Stuffing

1/2 to 3/4 cup Italian style bread (broke in pieces)
1 egg beaten
½ to ¾ milk
dash pepper
½ cup Italian cheese grated
¼ cup shredded mozzarella
1 small onion chopped
1 stalk chopped celery
4 tablespoons butter (salted)

In a pan melt butter, add onion, celery…Saute until translucent

In a large bowl put broken bread pieces, 1 egg beaten, ½ +cup milk, cheeses.  Set aside.   Add slightly cooled butter mixture.  Mix together with hands until bread in well moistened.. Set aside

 Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Lightly grease an 8 x8 inch baking dish with butter or spray with cooking oil..  Place stuffing mixture in dish.. Top with meat mixture.. Bake 1 hour or until browned..

 Take out of oven top with Marinara sauce, Pecorino Romano cheese and shredded mozzarella.  Bake 5 to 10 minutes more or until Marinara is warmed and cheese is melted and bubbly.









No comments: