Thursday, November 17, 2022

Sausage in red sauce






1 lb. Hot sausage links
1 lb. Sweet sausage links
2- 28 oz. Tomato purée
1-28oz. Crushed tomatoes 
1-15oz. Can tomato sauce
Olive oil
2 garlic cloves minced
1tsp. Onion powder 
1tsp. Crushed dried Basil
I carrot (cut in half)
Salt and pepper to taste(I’d start with 1teaspoon of salt and less pepper.

***Optional pinch of baking soda(baking soda will neutralize acidity). I DON’T ADD BAKING SODA UNTIL I TASTE.  I do not taste sauce until it has been cooking for at least 3 hours. If sauce tastes raw add the baking soda.  It will foam so stir until it dissapates. 

1.  Sear sausage links on all sides.  Place purée, tomatoes ,and sauce in crockpot on high while you are searing the sausage.  Add bail, salt, pepper ,minced garlic , carrot and onion powder.

Cook on high 2 hours.  Turn heat to low ,cook approximately 2 hours more.

Enjoy tossed with your favorite pasta.

****Note sometimes I add variegated pepper and onions to this sauce.

 


No comments: