Monday, August 19, 2019

Salsa Chicken


 As I promised I am going to post at least twice a week some new dishes for the health conscious person.

Hubby and I are trying very hard to maintain (he) and me (lose) and not be deprived of any dishes that we find interesting yet healthy so I will attempt to do this everyday and post a few of the recipes twice a week.


This simple crockpot meal is one that you can easily prep the night before and cook while you are out working or shopping.  

We were out all day from 11 to 6 and came home to this wonderful dish.

I decided to quickly make some cornbread to enjoy with it for a nice change. 

 While he set the table I through a package cornbread mix and in less than 20 minutes we had dinner.  You can easily substitute rice or a salad if you choose.




4/8/18



 1  1/2 lb. boneless chicken breasts
1 green pepper sliced thick
1 red pepper sliced thick
1 medium sweet onion sliced thick
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
1 cup bottled Salsa (I used pineapple salsa to add some sweet to the recipe) but your favorite salsa will work fine
 1/2 cup diced lite peaches in it's own juice add juice too! (optional) 
1 package cornbread mix baked according to directions.


In a slow cooker(crockpot) place chicken, peppers and onion.  Stir chicken broth, diced peaches and salsa together.  Pour over chicken..





Cover and cook on low setting for 7 to 8 hours or high setting for approx. 5 hours. When chicken is cooked I removed approximate 1/2 cup of juice and added 2 T flour to it to make a paste.

  Once the paste was smooth I added it to the chicken mixture to slightly thicken it.  It will not be a heavy sauce but just enough to add a little more texture.

Serve with cornbread or rice.


  Happy Cooking


12/6/17


No comments: