Monday, April 15, 2019

Meatloaf ! Pan gravy or Healthy Hint+ Try topping it with salsa

Healthy Hint on bottom of post!  My hubby likes a good meatloaf on occasion..

I use myMom's recipe but I have made some suggestions to help make your meatloaf with a bit less fat content.  I think you can do it with not altering the taste..

Be sure to add plenty of chopped or grated onion and possibly some seasoned breadcrumbs.   Enjoy!

This recipe for gravy can be used for the regular meat loaf.. Gravy has always been a bit of a stress to me so I wrote down exactly what I did and got the results I had hoped for..

1/2/12






First I  use Wondra, quick mixing flour.  It has been sifted and is much finer than regular flour and you are less likely to get lumps..If lumps occur just strain the gravy..

Here is what I do:

I take 5 tablespoons flour
1/2  cup cold water
Mix together thoroughly.

Using approximately 2 cups cold water scrape bottom of pan to get a nice color, strain any pieces that are left, add flour mixture a bit of salt and pepper and cook over medium heat until it thickens..Boil for a minute or two..

Healthy Hint for this recipe!  If you didn't jot down the recipe I'll give it to you again!  Substitute 90% or better ground beef or turkey and substitute skim milk and egg whites for regular milk and whole eggs to cut down the fat content ..


1 lb. ground pork (substitute lean beef, turkey or chicken)
1 lb. ground chuck
2 cups breadcrumbs, plain ( substitute seasoned if you would like)
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
2 eggs 
2 medium onions finely chopped
1 T dried parsley
1/2 to 1 cup milk . (You can substitute skim milk)

Mix all ingredients together.. Shape into the shape of a meatloaf and place in a lightly sprayed meatloaf pan .

Bake 350 degrees approx. 1 1/2 hours..  Cover for 1/2 hour and then take cover off.. You can easily top this meatloaf with diced tomatoes or salsa for some added flavor..Bake additional 15 to 20  minutes or more uncovered..  Add a veggie or side salad for a healthy meal..

Note:  If using smaller amount of beef or turkey, cooking time will be less..This recipe is easily cut in half.

Note: You can always use all ground beef when making meatloaf. Here's what it looks like when I used l 1/4 lb. ground beef, 1 medium onion grated, 1 egg, 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper, 1/2 tsp. dried parsley.

 I topped it with 2 T. ketchup after first baking it for one hour. 
I did not add any liquid to this recipe and baked it at 350 degrees for 1 hour uncovered and then added the ketchup to the top and covered it for another ten minutes..

This recipe works really well for cold meatloaf sandwiches....




From my kitchen to yours,




1/2/12

No comments: