Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Braised Chuck Roast with wine and tomatoes!

 Happy Cooking Bloggers!  This recipe really appealed to me when I saw it in the newspaper. It's going to be our Sunday dinner.  I am using a chuck roast (good value at the market) and honestly I don't make many chuck roasts so we'll see how this one turns out.





1 lb. boneless Spencer chuck roast (that's what it said on the package)
1 tablespoon olive oil
salt and pepper
1 large onion, cut into medium pieces
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. dried thyme
2 tablespoons flour
1 cup each red wine and chicken broth
1 can petite (14.5 oz.) diced tomatoes
1 tablespoon brown sugar(optional)
2 tablespoons cornstarch (optional)

Set oven to 350 degrees. Toss roast with olive oil, salt and pepper..Set aside..In a large heavy bottom Dutch oven over medium high heat..place roast...Cook and turn roast to brown about 5 or 6 minutes..Take roast out of pan and set on a dish.  Add onion to drippings and saute' until lightly browned...Add garlic and thyme, saute' about a minute..Stir in flour, then wine, followed by chicken broth and tomatoes..Put roast back in pot. Place pot in oven with cover and cook approximately 1 1/2 hours or until roast is tender. ..Serve with vegetable of choice..(I am serving it over rice)

My new cast iron Dutch Skillet!  I did the above in it..From stove top to oven..Love it!
Note:  I roasted some carrots to add to roast..Also make sure your roast is not too fatty..Marbled slightly to make it tender.. I added brown sugar to mine to make it a bit  sweeter and made a cornstarch paste to the liquid to thicken it....I am serving it over rice...Enjoy!  Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours............



12/11/11

No comments: