Friday, January 4, 2019

Goulash my way!

Here's another great one pot meal that I decided to put together on this rainy day.  I had the beef , onion, garlic and carrots as well as the chicken broth so this sure was easy to make using ground meat.  I'm thinking typical(if there is such a thing) goulash may use beef cubes but this cooked quickly, in about an hour and really was tasty.  I added Paprika(my new favorite spice) to give it a little bite.  Not spicy at all.  Try it. I think you'll like it.  
10/22/18



1 lb. 85% ground beef
2 T olive oil
1 medium onion chopped
1 sliced or grated garlic
1 cup diced carrots
1 medium potato skinned and cut in small cubes
1 tsp paprika
Salt and pepper
1-15 oz can petite diced tomatoes(if your prefer you can use tomato sauce in the same size can).
1-15 oz can beef broth
2 T cornstarch mixed with some of the liquid to thicken slightly


I’m a medium size Dutch oven place olive oil.  Add onion,ground beef, carrots, potato, salt , pepper and paprika. Sauté until beef has browned.  Add tomatoes or you can add tomato sauce if you prefer and beef broth.  Cover slightly and cook on low heat until bubbly.  It is done in approximately 1 + hours.  When it is done your potatoes and carrots will not be hard. FYI: Carrots and potatoes will cook quicker if you dice them instead of using large cubes.

To thicken the broth slightly.  I take 2 T cornstarch and whisk with some of the juice until smooth and add to Goulash.  Using a large spoon mix carefully.  

  Note:  You can use your crockpot too but I would brown your meat first before I put it in the crockpot.

We had fresh bread and butter to scoop up the great tasty broth.





No comments: