Wednesday, October 18, 2017

I'm feeling a cold coming on! Beef Soup w barley

It started the same way as a cold usually does for me, scratchy throat, headache and now the stuffy nose..

I rested  most of the day but as one o'clock approached I started thinking soup.

Early in the day I was going the Lipton soup route but after I looked through my freezer I came across a nice piece of chuck I had bought and froze so it's beef soup and its' Beef Barley Soup today. 

I'm hoping this soup does the trick for my stuffy nose.  Why not make some and freeze what's leftover?  Winter's on it's way and soup is great meal on a cold winter day!

  Enjoy!  Happy Cooking!

Beef, carrots, barley and rice


First bowl before addition of barley and rice


1 to  1 1/2 lb. beef chuck with or without bone
lots of celery or celery tops
1 onion
1 bag leaf (optional)
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried parsley
3 carrots peeled
6 to 7 quarts cold water
1/2 pkg. or 8 oz. small noodles(optional)

In a large stockpot place beef in water.  Add celery, parsley, salt and carrots..

Over medium heat bring to slow boil..Cover slightly so not to boil over or evaporate liquid..

Simmer until beef and vegetables are tender.About 2 hours.  Take beef out of broth shred or chop in pieces...Cut carrots in small pieces..Strain soup..Serve with noodles of choice..We had small bow ties..



Note:  After I strained my broth and served one bowl I decided to add 1/2 cup barley to pot and 1/2 cup cooked rice, beef and vegetables..Simmering until barley was thoroughly cooked..

From my kitchen to yours,




12/14/11
11/3/16

2 comments:

Cucina49 said...

So sorry you're getting sick, and I hope you feel better soon. What a lovely soup to sip while you're feeling miserable.

M. J. Vitelli said...

Yes..Soup does the body good :)