Wednesday, December 7, 2016

Boston Cream Cake!

One of our family favorite desserts has been Boston Cream Cake.  This is my guilty pleasure...

  I thought I'd try my easy version of the recipe and I'm very happy to tell you that it was really good and it didn't take much more than using a box mix, cook and serve pudding and my chocolate icing to almost duplicate (sorry Mom) the recipe. 

 Nothing tastes as good as a scratch cake but with summer almost over and kids back to school I think this may be a nice cake to make for everyone. Lots of us foodies have children and grandchildren who love dessert so I thought I would try to simplify a family favorite without making baking too time consuming.

  The grandchildren were visiting today.  Last evening I did 3/4 of the prep, refrigerated the filled cake and iced it this a.m.  This a  cake that must be refrigerated!  Enjoy!

This would be a nice dessert to share with some friends when entertaining!









Cover when filled and store overnight if possible .  Or refrigerate several hours before topping the cake with the chocolate icing.




Cover and refrigerate( I placed a few toothpicks around the cake and then covered with plastic wrap).

 I took the shortcut and made this easy version of Boston Cream Cake.  It turned out very very good.  I do have the recipe using homemade custard.  Just email or comment and I'll send it to you.  




Ingredients:

 1 box Duncan Hines Yellow cake mix.  (bake according to directions)
  
** Note: I used a bunt pan and when the cake was baked and completely cooled, using a serrated large knife,  I cut the cake in half.  I think it is easier than using two 9" cake pans.

2 pkgs. vanilla (cook and serve vanilla pudding)  Make according to directions on box.  Note: Use whole or 2% milk because I made this with 1% milk and the pudding was thin.

Icing

1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp. vanilla 
2 cups or more confectionery sugar
approx. 1/4 cup milk (judge the amount of milk how thick you want your icing)

Sift confectionery sugar, add cocoa and mix together.  Add milk and  vanilla.  Mix well by hand until all is blended and smooth.  Note:  Be careful when adding milk. Do so very slowly so as not to add too much milk.

From my kitchen to yours,



6/10/13
8/28/13
9/17/15
11/23/15
1/29/16
 
All recipes and their respective images are the sole property of I Like to Bake and Cook2013, all rights reserved. All content herein is meant for your personal enjoyment only and is in no way to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this site automatically constitutes your agreement to these terms.

2 comments:

Reeni said...

What a gorgeous cake! I bet everyone loved it!

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thanks Reeni: I made the roll-ups and made mine with strawberry cream cheese. Yum