Monday, February 16, 2015

Homemade chili from my kitchen to yours!

I know the North is shoveling out from a terrible snowstorm so I'm sharing my chili recipe for a very chili day!

New updated version:  My chili recipe


Mom made homemade chili now and again as well as my mother- in- law. Although my recipe doesn't call for it my mother-in- law would use a small can of drained mixed vegetables when she made her chili.  It was an easy meal to make and served with bread or rolls it seemed to fill our stomach and today it still does. 






OR

 Here is the recipe:

1 lb. ground beef** and or 1 lb. beef fondue pieces. (I found some today at the local market, tiny bite size pieces)
1 medium onion diced
1-64 oz Tomato juice or
1 large can crushed tomatoes or even a large can tomato sauce ( if using sauce add about 1/4 cup water)

3 tsp. chili powder
1 small can chiles drained (optional)
salt and pepper to taste
1  or 2 cans red kidney beans drained
2 tablespoons canola oil
shredded sharp cheese (optional) for top
**1 small can mixed vegetables drained (optional) 

Note:  Feel free to use all ground beef or turkey if desired.  Results will be the same.

Saute beef and onion in canola oil until browned.. Add salt, pepper and chili powder.  Add crushed tomatoes or tomato juice and drained kidney beans and optional chiles. Cook about an hour or more slightly covered..  Serve with some crusty bread or roll.  Add a salad if desired.


  Happy Cooking!
 
M.J.

Note:  My mother-in-law used a small can of drained **mixed vegetables to her chili.  I guess she thought she'd thought it was a good way to get the kiddo to get some veggies. 


11/14/12
5/5/14 

2 comments:

Liz That Skinny Chick Can Bake said...

I love the addition of canned chilies...great spicy boost! And it sounds like you know your way around Sunday gravy, too :)

M.J. said...

Thanks! and I love how some call it gravy and some call it sauce..