Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Organizing your clothes: I'm opening my closet and sharing!

Donate, Consign or Pitch!
  
I''m opening up my closet and sharing some ideas to make your closet area more organized.  I am concentrating on cleaning out or as my mom  would say "weeding" out my closet;  letting go of some items that should have been donated years ago.. Out with the old, well just out with the old!

  My closet (I have my own now),  kids have left the nest and one of the things that I looked forward to and wanted was my closet space.  You can do this too even if you share a closet.   Just give yourself a few hours and it can be done very easily.  

First go to the very back of your closet and start eliminating those items you are saving  for the day you are going to lose those extra pounds; love it but really "do you wear it" clothes and "why or why did I buy it" items..I know that feeling and to have the space we need we must eliminate. Only keep those items you have worn this year or last no others!! 

Those favorite jeans, slacks and tops that you seem to pull out and wear over and over.  Keep them for now until you decide you would like something new but get rid of worn, torn, spotted and faded items. A few years ago I decided every time I bought a new item I would get rid of an item. It has worked but I have to make a mental note of it each time I shop..

 I know it is hard to do but in order to have a free and uncluttered closet you must downsize.  Several nice casual and dressy casual outfits is probably all that you will ever need.  Also you do want to leave room to pick out some new items when you feel the need for a little something to update..

One of my pet peeves is hangers gong in all different directions.  I make sure all my hangers are going in the same direction..Just doing something as small as that makes a difference. It is so much easier when you have the hangers going the same way..





Second:   I keep my shirts, blouses and other hang able tops in one section. I keep whites, blacks, browns and keep mixed colors last.  Anything that can be folded I put in easy accessible drawers.  I keep all tanks, tees and cami's in one drawer..

Third:  I place pants; beige's, brown's and blacks next to my shirts or blouses. I have decided basic colors work best!





Fourth:   I place all casual jackets,blouses and tops  according to color.




I keep belts and scarfs on a belt/scarf hanger (I bought one at Marshall's for $6.99.. ( I love scarfs) You can use a plastic soda 6 pack bottle container for scarves too!  They make an easy place to store scarves..Hang the plastic container on a hanger and through the holes place scarves.( I hope I explained that enough for you to envision it..No picture sorry!



Fifth:   At the very back of the closet all dressy skirts, pants and items that I use only on occasion.

****A special note:  You don't have to spend a fortune organizing your closet..I ask for the hangers when I purchase items..Usually they are more than happy to accommodate.  I do have a few felt pants hangers for those creased or hard to hang pants or slacks..



Last but not least it's all about the shoes..I know purses(I won't even go there)and shoes are a weakness in my never ending search for the right pair of shoes or purse.purse **  I do not keep boxes..I have learned they take up way too much space.

 Below is a picture of the containers I use to store my extra shoes. I bought the containers (they are stack able) at either Wal Mart or Target. The drawers slide out for easy removal of shoes.  They store approximately 5 or 6 pair of shoes in each container, depending on size of heel...

 


Happy Organizing from my closet to yours,

Love,



1/4/12
1/7/15
Post a Comment