Monday, February 13, 2017

Mom's Favorite Cake! Chocolate Cherry Cake!


My Mom's favorite cake!!!

Every time I visited mom I made this cake.  I would bring many meals and sweets every single visit but the only request would be "would you make the chocolate cake with the cherries in it"? She absolutely enjoyed every single piece.  I made it in a bunt pan and sliced it and wrapped it individually.  It was easy to store in her freezer when she wanted something sweet.  She loved her sweets.

She had no idea it took minutes to prepare and and little effort. She never questioned me about it.  She was a from scratch baker and this is by no means a from scratch recipe.  I may mention she bragged about it and often shared a slice or two with her friends at Wesley Village where she resided. I would say I'll make two for you to share and I would do that on occasion. She loved it so much I wanted her to keep it all but she was so proud of me. What a great mom she was. 

So I'm re-posting this recipe for all the mom's who like an easy, delicious soft, moist yummy cake.

Mom passed away on February 13, 2017. 

My heart is heavy but when I start to think sad thoughts this happy face surfaces bringing a smile to my face.

For more reasons than one I will miss her but every time I make this cake I'll make sure to keep happy thoughts of the little things in life that make someone happy.

From this moment on it'll be called Mom's Favorite Cake!




Original post and recipe.
At our Cousin's party this year, we got to talking cakes and desserts...My blogging has brought attention to family recipes and also recipes our cousins faithfully say are ones they make time and time again..I have lots of chocolate cake recipes and most are more involved but this cake recipe is very easy and from what they say it is fabulous.  Today I am making it.  I found the recipe in allrecipes.com and although they didn't have their recipe on hand when we had our cousin's dinner, this recipe seems similar in ingredients.  I'm using my Bundt pan again.  I love it!   Here is the recipe and some pictures.  Enjoy!  Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours!!





Drizzle icing over cake while warm

Note: If making this cake in a bundt pan allow for an additional 5 to 10 minutes more when baking. Test center with toothpick.

1 ( 18.25 ) pkg. devils food cake mix
1 (21 oz.) can cherry pie filling
1 tsp. almond extract
2 eggs

Icing
1 cup sugar
5 tablespoons butter
1/3 cup milk
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
chopped almonds or pecans (optional)

Heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a 9 x13 inch pan.
In a large bowl, combine cake mix, cherry pie filling, almond extract, and 2 eggs by hand, stir until well blended. Pour into prepared pan.

Note:  If you do not want to see the whole cherries use an electric mixer to blend.

Bake 25 to 30 minutes or depending on size of pan baking time varies. I usually use a bunt pan and it takes approximately 50 minutes to bake.

Drizzle icing

In a small saucepan, combine sugar, butter or margarine and milk.  Boil, stirring constantly for 2 minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until smooth.  Immediately pour over partially cooled cake.

Top with optional chopped pecans or almonds



2/12/13
1/15/12
12/18/13

3 comments:

Unknown said...

MJ, this looks wonderful and who doesn't like chocolate and cherries!

Angie's Recipes said...

A rich and luscious bundt cake!

M. J. Vitelli said...

Yes and I think for Valentine's Day, I'll make it in layers and top it with whipped cream..Maybe some in between the layers as well..Yummy!