Wednesday, January 3, 2024

Healthy white minestrone



I had seen this recipe on Eating well .com and was really curious about the taste as it was a white minestrone and different than any minestrone recipe I had made; so today I went grocery shopping for ingredients.

I had my homemade chicken broth so I used it otherwise I would have used what this recipe called for in broth 

I will put an asterisk next to how I adapted this recipe to my liking.  I only used one zucchini and as far as seasoning cut back to 1 tsp. Thyme and I tablespoon of cider vinegar because I just wasn’t sure of what boost it would give to the soup.  Having said that I would follow the recipe as is the next time.  It was really delicious.




     
     
           


  • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil

  • 3 medium leeks, trimmed, washed ) and thinly sliced( note: I watched a video as how to thoroughly clean and cut the leeks)

  • 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth

  • 1 cup water

  • *1 large red potato, diced(white)

  • *2 teaspoons dried thyme( I used one)

  • ¼ teaspoon salt

  • ½ teaspoon freshly ground pepper

  •  cup whole-wheat orzo(I used wheat instant rice at the end and allowed to sit 5 minutes without stirring )

  • 1 -15-ounce can white beans, rinsed

  • *2 medium zucchini, quartered and thinly sliced( I used one zucchini)

  • *1 pound fresh spinach, stems removed(I used 1/2 bag frozen spinach rinsed )

  • *2 tablespoons cider vinegar(I used one)

  • 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese, preferably Parmigiano-Reggiano









Heat oil in a Dutch oven or large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 3 minutes. Add broth, water, potato, thyme, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5 
Minutes.

  1. Add orzo and cook, partially covered, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, for 5 minutes. Add beans and zucchini and continue to cook, partially covered, until the vegetables and pasta are tender, about 8 minutes more.

  2. Stir in spinach and cook, stirring, until wilted, about 2 minutes. Season the soup with vinegar. Ladle into bowls and garnish with Parmesan.

    Delish!

    Enjoy!





 

No comments: