Saturday, October 7, 2023

Mondays vegetable soup


Updated photo Vegetable Soup
10/7/2023

To the original recipe today I added garbanzo beans drained, a handful frozen chopped spinach, a medium size(14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, a handful frozen green beans, dried parsley and acne de Pepe.





Today was an excellent day to make some vegetable soup with what I had in my freezer and pantry.

I’ve been nursing a cold:sinus infection and have had no desire to eat but today I needed something that would taste really good and also get me warmed up!  This Pa weather is so damp and downright cold.

I know it’s only April but some sunshine is definitely needed to get me on the right track.

Using my medium size Dutch oven I knew starting my vegetables in vegetable oil and butter would certainly give it some yummy flavor.  I was right.  The soup turned out spectacular!  I even managed to drink all that broth you see too! Feel good feeling for sure.











Sauté in vegetable oil and butter the following until tender 

1/2 cup chopped onions
1/2 cup chopped carrots
1/2 cup chopped celery
1 medium potato chopped 

Add 2 quarts chicken broth ( I use part homemade broth and 1 can Swanson chicken broth but approximately 3 quarts of broth would be perfect.

Cook slowly until broth starts to boil then add 1/2 cup frozen peas
1/2 cup chopped escarole 
1/2 cup Italian flat beans
1/2 cup  barley 

Note:  I had all of these handy in my freezer.  I save as not to waste all my extras.  They do come in handy for times like today…

Simmer until barley is tender but still a little chewy.

Start to finish about one hour or more.  Do not overcook!

Delicious!


No comments: