Tuesday, June 7, 2022

Giada’s Orzo salad

Note:  the first time I made this salad I did it Giada’s way.

NOTE:***The second time I cooked the orzo with a little oil in water.  I thought using all the chicken broth was wasteful and I don’t like to waste.

Note: (optional ) I topped with Feta cheese ( you could use shredded mozzarella)and added less vinegar to dressing.




It was delicious!



Today I wanted something different to have with a few sautéed chicken breasts.  Giada to my rescue.

I seldom try any chefs recipe other than my favorite Ina Garten but this was a nice change.  I should try more!

The salad took more prep than the chicken!!! But it’s DELICIOUS!


Red Wine Vinaigrette:


  1. Pour the broth into a heavy large saucepan. Cover the pan and bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the orzo. Cover partially and cook until the orzo is tender but still firm to the bite, stirring frequently, about 7 minutes. Drain the orzo through a strainer. Transfer the orzo to a large wide bowl and toss until the orzo cools slightly. Set aside to cool completely.
  2. Toss the orzo with the beans, tomatoes, onion, basil, mint, and enough vinaigrette to coat. Season the salad, to taste, with salt and pepper, and serve at room temperature.

Red Wine Vinaigrette:

  1. Mix the vinegar, lemon juice, honey, salt, and pepper in a blender. With the machine running, gradually blend in the oil. Season the vinaigrette, to taste, with more salt and pepper, if desired.
  2. Yield: 1 3/4 cups
I seasoned the chicken with salt and pepper and sautéed it in butter and olive oil until lightly browned and there is no visible pink in center.  It was moist!

Enjoy!



No comments: