Sunday, December 12, 2021

Lasagna with ground chicken





My hubby loves meals made with red sauce.  He could with no doubt eat some form of pasta every single day!

I not as much.  I do love a good marinara or meat sauce .  My meat sauce is most  times made with beef and pork ground up or by adding some good spare ribs.to the combination.  A favorable hearty sauce needs a good base to enhance its flavor.

Today I am going out of the box and using fresh ground chicken.  Imo chicken is not as flavorful as meat so I believe more seasoning should be used.

Ingredients:

1  1/2 lb. Ground chicken
6 T olive oil
4 cloves minced garlic
2tsp. Dried basil 
1tsp. Onion powder
1lb. Fresh mozzarella cut in slices 
2 large cans crushed tomatoes 
1-14.5 oz. Can Hunts sauce
1lb. Ricotta
I egg beaten 
1tsp. dried parsley 
1/4 cup chopped spinach( optional)
Salt and pepper to taste.
1 box No boil lasagna 
Pecorino Romano 

Today I decided I was going to try a lasagna using ground chicken.  In medium size Dutch oven pot Sauté the ground chicken in olive oil until starting to brown slightly making sure to break up ground chicken into small pieces.  Add minced garlic, onion powder, basil , salt pepper and sauté until fragrant.

After it was fried ( sautéed) I allowed it to cool and using my processor pulsed it until it was very fine. You do not have to use a food processor.  

 I added the chicken to 2 cans of crushed tomatoes and I can of canned sauce.   Allow sauce to simmer at a low bubble for about 1 and 1/2 hour. ( you could do this in a crock pot) on low for 4 hours to allow you some free time.

Mix ricotta with egg, parsley and a few tablespoons of cheese.

Place  a ladle of sauce in a 9 x 13” pan 
Layer no boil lasagna across pan , add seasoned ricotta and sliced mozzarella for several layers also adding sauce to each layer REMEMBERING TO BE GENEROUS WITH SAUCE BETWEEN LAYERS.

Top with remaining sauce, fresh mozzarella and Pecorino.

Bake covered 350° for 30 minutes.  Remove cover and cook an additional 10 minutes.  Lasagna should be bubbling slightly.

Enjoy!














No comments: