Sunday, November 14, 2021

Coconut cream pie







I use a refrigerated pie crust and then I bake a pie crust according to directions for one crust pie.

Place in our plate and flute edges..  I 
Bake according to directions for about 10 minutes.

I allow to cool completely.

While it is cooling I make my own homemade custard. 



***Microwave Custard Filling:
1/4 cup corn starch
1/3 cup sugar
2 cups milk( I used 2%)Or whole Milk is the best.
2 Egg yolks
2 Tablespoons butter
1 tsp. vanilla

In a medium glass bowl combine corn starch and sugar.  With a whisk , gradually stir milk into the corn starch.

Place above milk, cornstarch, sugar mixture in microwave on high power for 5 to 7 minutes or until thickened and bubbling, stirring after each 2 minute interval.  

Take out of microwave using whisk gently whisk half of the hot milk mixture into the egg yolks and then add the rest of the egg mixture into remaining hot mixture..

Microwave on high power for 1 1/2 to 2  1/2 minutes or until thickened and heated through, stirring after each 45 second interval.  Using a wire whisk blend in butter and vanilla.

 While the custard is cooling I use about I cup of shredded coconut and toast it.  Set aside.

I add 1+cup whatever coconut I have( sweetened or unsweetened) to the cooked cooled custard stirring well. 

Fresh whipped cream on top and I add the toasted coconut.  Must set overnight.  At least that’s what I think is best for the custard to set right.



No comments: