Tuesday, March 23, 2021

Pasta with carrots fennel and onion

I finally did it.  I made a meal using Fennel.  I have had fennel in salads but never cooked.  Well, guess what.  I loved it.  I never realized Fennel was so inexpensive either.  This meal was delicious.  I did have to make a few adjustments.  I had not added as much fennel as the recipe called for obvious reasons.  I didn't know if it might overpower the dish.  So note to self.  I'll add fennel using what a recipe calls for.  It's really mild but has a nice slight anise type flavor.  Don't be afraid it is not overpowering at all.  It's delicious.

Here is the easy recipe:

1 lb. pasta cooked according to directions
1 cup sliced fennel
2 sliced carrots
2 cloves diced garlic
1 sliced onion
6 T. extra Virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
3/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese( I think I'd add 1 cup next time.  
1 T chopped fennel fronds

Remove the outer leaves from the fennel and wash well.  Cut in half then slice into thin slices

Peel carrots and cut into thin slices.  Peel and chop garlic, Cut onion into thin strips.

Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat.  add onions and allow to cook until translucent.  add garlic and cook for a minute careful not to burn.

Cook pasta in a large pot of salted water reserving 1 cup before draining 

Add fennel to the pan, season with salt and pepper, saute lightly until browned, add 1 cup of the pasta water and cook about 2 minutes or more.

Drain pasta and toss into pan, garnish with parmigiano cheese and fennel fronds.  













Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,







No comments: