Saturday, March 16, 2024

Irish Soda Bread! with dried cranberries!!!!!










The Top of the Morning to Everyone!!!   This was my first attempt to make this soda bread.  No yeast was involved.  Yay!  Enjoy!!

Happy Baking from my kitchen to yours,






1/16/14




This bread is delicious warm or at room temperature.  If you have leftovers toast the next day!

I came across this recipe in the Dash section of the local newspaper.  I adapted this to my liking whereas I used dried cranberries instead of raisins and soured my milk. 

2 cups flour
5 T sugar, divided
 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp. salt
3/4tsp. baking soda
3 T cold butter, diced
1 cup buttermilk( I soured 1%  milk with 1 tsp. white vinegar)
2/3 cup raisins(optional cranberries)



Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Coat a 8 or 9 inch round pan( I used a bread pan) with  cooking spray.  In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, 4 T sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda.  Add butter, rubbing it into flour mixture with your fingers until a coarse meal forms.

Make a well in center of flour mixture.  Pour in buttermilk ad stir to blend.  Stir in raisins.  Flour our hands and shape dough into a ball.

Transfer dough to pan and flatten slightly(not all the way to edges of pan).  Sprinkle with remaining 1 T sugar.

Bake for 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into center of bread comes out clean.

Remove from oven and let sit for about 10 minutes; transfer to a rack to finish cooling.






***Note:  I substituted dried cranberries for the raisins.


3/10/13
3/17/20
3/17/24

 
All recipes and their respective images are the sole property of I Like to Bake and Cook2013, all rights reserved. All content herein is meant for your personal enjoyment only and is in no way to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this site automatically constitutes your agreement to these terms.



2 comments:

Aunt Mimi said...

Looks lovely AND tasty... I bet it would be fabulous toasted w/homemade butter....I can smell it now :)

M. J. Vitelli said...

Yum...for sure :)