Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Strawberry cream cheese Breakfast Bars

Some days all it takes is a little imagination and if you have  basic ingredients you can make something really delicious..

We are leaving for home next week after spending some time in warm weather.  I am so grateful because Pittsburgh and surrounding areas have been pounded by snow and frigid temperatures and it was wonderful for my body and soul after suffering the loss of my only sibling, my brother.

In an effort to use every bit of perishable items in my refrigerator and freezer today I used my creativity to make  really great breakfast bars.

 It didn't take much to make these breakfast bars and quite honestly it was one of the better breakfast bars I've made without much thought.

 I didn't have any type cookie or cracker crumbs to make a crust so I used corn muffin mix to serve as my base.  Corn muffins have a different texture so if you don't care for them feel free to use crushed graham crackers or cookie crumbs as a base still using melted or softened butter to hold them together so they can be easily mixed to spread in pan.

I like corn muffins so I did have a package of (Betty Crocker) corn muffin mix so I decided it would be the base for these bars.  I had light cream cheese, eggs, soft butter and sugar as well as sliced strawberries I had previously frozen and defrosted overnight thinking I'd make a shortcake for tonight's dessert but it was early a.m. and I was hungry so this is the cake that transpired.  Enjoy!


3/16/16

Base:
1 cup corn muffin mix(Betty Crocker)
4 T butter(soft butter with canola slightly melted)
2 T sugar

Mix above and spread in 8x8 pan

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Bake above for 5 minutes

Note:  You can use a whole corn muffin package if you want a thicker base.  Just make sure you can easily spread it into pan.  Add a bit of water if it is too thick. You may have to bake the bottom for 10 minutes if you are using whole package.

 Remove from oven slightly cool.

Turn oven down to 350 degrees

Topping

1 cup fresh strawberries(thawed and drained, no sugar added)
8oz softened cream cheese (1/3) less fat
2eggs
4 heaping tablespoons sugar
1tsp. Vanilla

Beat cream cheese ,eggs, sugar and vanilla until blended.  Fold in strawberries.  Pour onto par- baked cornbread.  Place in oven and bake approximately 15 to 20 minutes or until top is golden and center is set.






Note:  Mine baked quickly because I only used 1 cup of cornbread mix.
All recipes and their respective images are the sole property of I Like to Bake and Cook Blog 2014, all rights reserved. All content herein is meant for your personal enjoyment only and is in no way to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this site automatically constitutes your agreement to these terms.

No comments: