Saturday, February 22, 2020

Veggie pie



A very good friend of mine shared this recipe of hers with me yesterday.  I had asked for some suggestions on what to make with a head of broccoli and cauliflower that I had bought and didn't feel like doing the usual which was either seasoning with broccoli with garlic and olive oil or breading the cauliflower.

She told me for their women's card club lunches this veggie pie had been served and everyone loved it. 

 I used sliced onions, steamed broccoli and cauliflower to it but she said mushrooms go well in it too.  Since I'm not fond of mushrooms I did not add them. 

A great side dish, main dish and it's meatless.


2 cups broccoli and cauliflower florets steamed
1 large onion thinly sliced and sautéed in olive oil
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (I used cheddar and american cheese to mine). Reserve about 1/4 cup for top of pie
1 refrigerated pie crust baked according to directions for one crust pie
4 sweet potatoes mashed with butter and milk
Pinch salt




8/14/18 original

Note: I only had 2 sweet potatoes so mine is not as high as I would have liked it to be.  You choose the amount of potatoes you or your family would enjoy.

Directions:

Bake crust according to directions and allow to cool.
Steam broccoli and cauliflower and set aside
In a medium skillet sauteed onions in olive oil..set aside
Wash potatoes, prick with fork in several places and Microwave until cooked.  After potatoes are cooked remove skins and place in a bowl with 2 T butter and enough milk to hold potatoes together.  Mash with hand or electric mixer or until smooth.

When crust has cooled layer vegetables, onions and cheese until pie it almost filled.  Top with mashed sweet potatoes, reserved cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Remove from oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes and serve. It's delicious!!!



Enjoy!




No comments: