Sunday, August 4, 2019

Braciole/ A family favorite







Re-post




Today as I was rolling my Braciole I called our son and said "Come over I'm making your favorite" and he knew exactly what I meant.   My recipe is very basic and I think easy to do.(You just have to try it!)  

Rolling and tying may seem to be challenging but it isn't if you allow yourself some time.  Once you do it, it is a breeze!



Cooks Note:When I make Braciole, I season, roll and tie with twine before browning.




Before adding to sauce either bake or fry until lightly browned.

  Note:  This recipe for Braciole freezes well. I have included some pictures.  Hope they are useful!. Happy Cooking!!!!









Here is my recipe:

2 lb. thinly sliced round steak (trimmed)
1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
1/2  cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
Fresh or dried parsley
1 or 2 cloves minced garlic (garlic powder can be used as well) (about 1/2 tsp. total if using garlic powder)
olive oil to rub on trimmed steak
salt and pepper

Trim and cut round steak into approx. 4 inch slices ..If meat still seems thick, pound on both sides..Rub with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoned breadcrumbs, garlic, salt, pepper and Pecorino Romano cheese.. Roll from wide end in toward center. . You can then cut in half for easier browning or leave as is making sure it will fit in your pot easily.

 I use a toothpick to hold the braciole together until I am ready to tie with thread( I use light colored thread or cooking string )as it is easier to see when you are about to remove.). 

  Bake at 400 degrees until browned..Add to basic sauce and cook for several hours.   You can also fry braciole in a few tablespoons olive oil until they are browned instead of baking them.  I make a basic sauce with tomato paste, tomato puree or crushed tomatoes, garlic, basil, salt and pepper or you can add the braciole to your favorite jarred sauce and cook for 2 to 3  hours slowly until meat is tender..  They also make great sandwiches ! 

 Delicious and a nice change from meatballs in sauce..  


Don't forget the garlic inside and be sure to add some to your sauce..Oh that garlic..just love it!!!



About 2 lb. round steak( I trimmed and cut to size)


Generously sprinkle with above ingredients




Use a long piece of thread or cooking string and put thread under steak and knot on top and keep rolling and tying several times to hold.




In sauce and starting to cook..Will be done in approx. 2 to 3 hours depending on thickness of meat..




Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,






7/12/11 11/25/12

No comments: