Thursday, April 19, 2018

Crockpot Sausage stuffed peppers

I don't know why I haven't tried this before but today I decided to stuff some variegated peppers I had bought and not used. 

 Wow!  Why did I wait so long?  We loved them and they were so easy that I'm almost embarrassed to say how little time and effort it took.  Of course I had amazing hot sausage so I must give my special butcher credit for this sausage. 





1 lb. loose Italian sausage (you can use link sausage but you must remove casing before stuffing the peppers)
3 medium size variegated peppers
Note:  red, yellow and orange are the sweetest.

1 (28 oz) large can of your favorite tomato sauce.(I used Hunts but I like Contadina too).
A little water(clean out can with about 1/4 cup water)

Clean and hollow out peppers.  Wash thoughly in cold water

Fill with sausage. I pack the sausage tightly in the pepper.

In a large Dutch oven pan place 2 to 5 T oil. Place heat on medium heat to warm , add stuffed peppers and allow to brown slightly on each side.  Add sauce turn heat to low simmer covering slightly. Stir slightly from time to time so they do not stick.

Cook until peppers are soft and sausage is cooked.  Simmer after starting to bubble On low heat until cooked thoroughly.

  Approximately 1 1/2 hours to be cooked to our liking.  Enjoy!




Serve with bread or vegetable.

PS  This meal is crockpot friendly. I like to brown the peppers before I put them and the sauce in the crockpot.




No comments: