Wednesday, January 10, 2018

Chicken Tortillas mini's wraps

Winter makes me bake and cook even more than usual. Can you believe that?

After getting going very early (yes I got up early) I decided starting the New Year doing a little light exercise might be something good for me. I do not like exercise at all and at one time I did.

When the weather is nice I enjoy a nice brisk walk but it seems I never concentrate on getting my bones stronger or balance as I'm aging so along with some weight training I decided focusing on balance is not a bad idea either. 

After I came home feeling quite peppy I decided chicken soup might hit the spot. I did get it going quickly and while it was cooking I started thinking what to make for dinner and soup was not enough. I was making a basic chicken broth with some veggies. That's where the idea of Chicken Tortillas came to my mind.




I'll call them "my way" Chicken Tortillas.  I do love Mexican food.

 Since I did have the chicken I removed it from the broth and shredded it. Some recipes call for cubed chicken which you usually fry but since I already had the cooked chicken I made the tortillas my way and the below is the recipe using cooked and shredded chicken.








2 cups shredded chicken breasts
2 cloves minced garlic
1 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 cup sliced leeks or sweet onion
1/2 sliced or diced green pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin 
1 1/2 tsp. chili powder
1-4oz can diced green chilies drained
1 cup low sodium chicken broth
2 medium or 4 small tortillas 
1 cup cheddar cheese
sour cream optional


In a large skillet place olive oil, minced garlic, onion and diced green and red pepper. Slowly cook until onion and pepper are slightly tender.  Add drained chilies, chili powder, cumin and chicken broth. Cook until slightly reduced.  Add shredded chicken and allow to heat until all is hot.  Warm tortillas in microwave according to directions or slightly fry in a small round pan until warmed.

Remove from heat. Place a few tablespoons of mixture on tortilla, shredded cheese and enjoy!  Sour cream optional....







No comments: