Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Pignoli Nut or Pine Nut Cookies! They're Italian

****❤️Some of my fondest memories are what I knew as traditional wedding cookies when I was growing up. 

 The local bakery would always put many in their Wedding Cookie Platter which was a must for all and especially the Italian families.  Big dishes of variegated cookies of all sizes and flavors.  We would search for the Pignoli ones first because they were every one's favorite cookie!  You should be able to find them at a authentic Italian Bakery for sure.








 
2 7-ounce tubes almond paste ( I used canned ) easier to break up!

1 cup sugar( you can cut back on sugar a bit because almond paste is very sweet.

2 large egg whites

finely grated zest of one orange

1½ cups whole pine nuts -





Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment.



Crumble almond paste into the work bowl of a food processor and process until the paste is in fine crumbs. Sprinkle in the sugar with the motor running. Once the sugar is incorporated, add the egg whites and orange zest. Process to make a smooth dough, about 20 to 30 seconds.



Spread the pine nuts on a plate. Form the dough into 2-tablespoon-sized balls by rolling in in between the palms of your hands, ( meatball size) then roll the dough in the pine nuts until coated, then place on baking sheets. Bake until lightly golden and springy to the touch, about 13 to 15 minutes. Let cool on baking sheets for about 5 minutes, then transfer the cookies to cooling racks to cool completely. 

I thought making them would be a chore so I put off making them for years when I  decided to attempt finding a recipe that would please me.  I took a chance with this easy recipe I found from Lidia's blog.  

 Why did I hesitate so long?? This recipe is not only super delicious by super easy. Just in time for the holidays.

 Enjoy!



12/14/13 original recipe

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

When I initially commented I clicked the "Notify me when new comments are added" checkbox and now each
time a comment is added I get several emails with the same comment.
Is there any way you can remove me from that service?
Bless you!

M. J. Vitelli said...

I will. Just have to find where it's at. Try to unclick the box where you first clicked the notify me..