Wednesday, December 6, 2017

ITALIAN(Anise) COOKIES or Italian Knot Cookies

I have always known the cookies I so loved all my life as Anise Cookies.  That's what my family called them so when I moved to Pittsburgh 7 years ago that Anise cookie in Pittsburgh was called Love Knots or Knot cookies.  I have played around with a few of my grandmother's and aunts recipes so the below recipe is a combination of both. It passed the taste test long ago!  Enjoy!

 We put anise oil in them (you can find it at the local pharmacy in small bottles close to the register) or anise extract which is a little lighter in flavor.

If you prefer use vanilla, lemon or orange extract in place of the anise.

Here's our families combination recipe.  Easy and yummy!



 5 1/2 Cup Flour
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup softened butter or you can use crisco if desired
5 1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla(anise or any extract that you would like) (even orange rind can be used)
1/2 to 3/4 Cup Milk (start with 1/2 cup)
Batter should be thick and easy to make round 1 tsp. size balls..

 Cream Crisco or Butter with mixer(you can use hands to do this whole recipe if you like).  Fold in eggs and vanilla then dry ingredients and some milk alternating dry ingredients and finishing with milk..(watch amount of milk)





















BAKE 350 DEGREES APROX.12 MINUTES(depending on oven)WATCH CAREFULLY CHECK AFTER 8 TO 10 MINUTES.


ICING

2 CUPS 10X confectionery SUGAR
1/4 CUP milk  APPROX. AMT.LESS OR MORE POSSIBLE

START WITH SMALL AMOUNT OF MILK ADDING MORE UNTIL THICK and easy to spread. I use my fingers but you can use a pastry brush if you would like.
ADD FOOD COLORING IF YOU WOULD LIKE...1 DROP


Happy Baking with love,












5/25/11
11/23/12
12/22/14

4 comments:

Bibi @ Bibi's Culinary Journey said...

I need to put these on my Christmas list. My hubby is Italian & I am sure he would love them :)

M. J. Vitelli said...

I am sure he'll love them..Enjoy!

Annetta said...

Ty, I remember my grandmother making these, so good.

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thank you for commenting. Everyone in our family loves them. Fond Food Memories. <3