Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Chocolate macaroons!!

Here's another favorite of mine. I love chocolate and coconut too!

It rainy here in PA. I am  not going to complain because we could be up to our eyeballs in snow so I'm thinking comfort and Valentine's Day is only a month away so I'm trying some chocolate recipes this week. I found this one in Good Housekeeping magazine so I wanted to try it out and share my results..Maybe you have a special someone who might like this treat on Valentine's Day so you may want to bookmark this recipe.   I adapted this recipe to what I had in my pantry.  Enjoy!



4 large egg whites
1 1/2 cup sugar *( I used 3/4 cup)
1/4 tsp. salt
3 cups finely shredded unsweetened coconut *( I used sweetened coconut)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
*1/2 tsp. vanilla extract or
*almond extract (watch amount)
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped * I used semi sweet chocolate morsels)
2 oz. white chocolate(optional) * (I used white chocolate morsels)







Preheat oven to 350 degrees.. Line 2 cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a heavy duty saucepan, combine egg whites, sugar and salt.  Heat on medium until warm to the touch.  Stir in coconut, flour, cocoa, and vanilla.  Stir about 4 minutes or until gently sizzling.  Remove from heat.  Stir in 1/3 cup bittersweet chocolate until melted.  With a cookie scoop,or a teaspoon, scoop mixture into balls and place on prepared cookie sheets, spacing 1 inch apart.

Bake 15 minutes or until set and crisp around the edges. Cool completely on cookie sheet on wire rack..Store in airtight container at room temperature 1 day or in freezer up to two weeks.

To add an extra touch, In microwave safe bowl, microwave remaining chocolate on high in 30 second intervals, stirring frequently.  Dip top of macaroons in white or dark chocolate to coat if desired.

Note:  I used sweetened coconut so I cut my sugar down to 3/4 cup .  They were wonderful and I did not notice any difference when cutting down the sugar...I highly recommend these macaroons if you love coconut and chocolate they are a must try, and I found them to be very easy...

Happy Baking with love,







7/5/12 
12/2/13

1 comment:

Courtney @ Misadventures in Cooking said...

I adore regular macaroons ... but chocolate flavored - wow! They sound amazing!