Friday, October 6, 2017

Crockpot Italian Beef Roast with Balsamic Drizzle

I'm back in my kitchen!  and so happy to be cooking again. It's only crockpot cooking for now because of the knee issues. :(....... Before I share this recipe I'll fill you in on our last few months in the Sunshine State.  

January and February were cold, rainy and not so sunny!  March brought hope!

Quite honestly the last three months away from our home have been a challenge.  The kitchen was equipped with some necessary utensils but having to take all my spices and favorite knives, cutting board and crockpot can be cumbersome.  I'm not saying it wasn't great getting away from the cold and snow but there really is no place like home.  

Yes we are snow birds and have been for a few years.  

Everything was less than perfect this year starting with me having a really bad sinus infection.  I had to call home to my PCP and get an antibiotic.  I tried to be rid of it with home remedies but once that sinus infection landed in my chest well I had no choice.

Hubby got his usual gout.  It's become a not so welcome to Florida gift and off to the ER for treatment.  It settled but then no shellfish for him.  Something he loves.

Come March while picking shells it seems I injured my knee.  Yes I guess that's how it happened because I didn't do much else that could cause an injury to that knee.  Yepper off to the ER because within a week I could not put any weight on the leg.  Pain and swelling.  Didn't get much help from ER.  They did take x-rays and did a Doppler on the leg.  I feared it may be a blood clot.  That's how bad the pain was.  A nine out of 10.  X-rays showed a contusion.  That's it?  Well off with some pain medication I went.  Frustrating to say the least.  I can deal with that I think.  Couldn't take the pain medication because I felt so dizzy it just wasn't worth it.  Ended up taking some Naproxen hopefully to ease inflammation and placing an ice pack on the area.  It didn't do much to help but I was determined to stay the last month in Florida.

  I went to the Beach only one day(that's the day I think I injured the knee).  Did manage to get some shells but at a high price if that's how the knee was injured??

I hopefully will find out what is the problem on Monday.  I have an appointment with an orthopedist.  I'm sure it will involve more tests but I have to find out what is the problem.  I've been hobbling assisted with a cane and leg brace for three weeks trying really hard to hold on.  Crazy, right? 

Ok so I have tried to fill you in on what's been going on with me for the last few months so on to the recipe.  It's one I just put together yesterday and I called it Italian Roast Beef, the newest one! LOL 



Crockpot recipe!

Approximately 3 lb. beef roast(Mine was on a half price sale)
2 1/2 tsp. salt
2+ tsp. Italian seasoning
1 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 cup beef broth 

On a large piece of waxed paper or parchment paper place all spices.  Mix to blend spices.  Place roast on paper and make sure to coat both sides with spice mixture. Patting to coat.

In a large dutch oven on medium heat place oil .  Add roast and sear on both sides.

Place 1 cup broth in crockpot that is set on high.  Add seared roast and cover.  Cook approximately 3 to 4 hours on high or 4 to 6 on low.

Remove from crockpot and let rest for 10 minutes.  

We are making warm sandwiches on crusty bread with this roast or if you like you can thicken the juice and make gravy.

Wrap and store in refrigerator when cooled for more sandwiches later.  Cold roast beef, sliced red onion and lettuce with a little Modena balsamic vinegar.  OH so good!



The Sandwich:
I sliced my roast with an electric knife because I like to pile my meat on with thinly sliced meat.


No need for a recipe for the marinade. I used Modena Balsamic Vinegar and drizzled it all over the sliced beef.  YUM

 FYI:  I made a pot of meat sauce too!  I had two crockpots going.  We must eat!  You can't keep me down.  








4/3/16
8-4-16
10/3/16


No comments: