Thursday, September 21, 2017

Nana's Homemade Chicken Ravioli: My first 50

Nana never made meat ravioli and as I'm thinking back to how Nana prepared meals, I'm thinking chicken and potatoes were used a lot in meal preparation.  I lot of meatless meals...

Mom used to tell me they ate a lot of potatoes.. She came from a family of seven and I think potatoes were also reasonable in price so beef was a rarity and maybe that's a good thing.. Nana lived to 93 and Mom's oldest sister is 100 , mom is 91and her other sister is 89. Her remaining youngest brother is 84.

I just better get to my recipe and stop with the chat..

Look at how much filling I still have..I will be making a few more of these..

Here it is:

1 1/2 lb. cooked chicken( I used chicken breasts)  I boiled them with a bit of salt and let them cool
1/2 cup seasoned or unseasoned bread crumbs
1/2 cup grated cheese (of course I use Pecorino Romano)
1/4 cup chopped spinach cooked and drained well
1 egg beaten
1 tablespoon water if needed to hold together

chicken and spinach filling




Chicken and spinach in my processor


When chicken has cooled process chicken and spinach until desired consistency..Add egg , cheese and breadcrumbs and bit of water if needed.  Refrigerate until ready to use!!!  


Dough:

4 cups regular flour( you can use half regular flour and half semolina if you like)
5 whole eggs
1 tbsp. oil
1/4 cup water plus a little more
1 tsp. salt

Mom said this recipe makes 140 Ravioli.. 

Now to get on to making them.. I was going to wait until tomorrow to start but here is the first 50..  Check out the pictures it looks like I'll be making some more later..

Happy Cooking!!!!!




My macaroni machine..I'm back in business!

I use a pizza cutter to section pieces of dough..

I usually go several times to make my dough the right thickness

After putting a small amount of filling fold in half and seal and then dip a fork in flour and seal again making a fork mark around the ends


My first 50!!!!!!
Happy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,




11/5/11
4/17/15

2 comments:

Jessica | Oh Cake said...

These sound (and look!) so good! What a great tribute to your Nana.

M. J. Vitelli said...

Yes I felt that way! and now on to my hubby's favorite..cheese and ground beef, pork and veal..Thanks for commenting!