Monday, September 18, 2017

Mom's CreamyCabbage

One of my mom's favorite dishes was her creamy cabbage.  My brother and her loved it and so did all her neighbors...She supplied the neighborhood with it.  She just loved to share food and her grandchildren loved it too.

I've been thinking of her and how wonderful she baked and cooked and as I talk about her these food memories are very dear to me.  I hope you enjoy them as well.

I'm going to post her recipe as I remember.  I make mine a little different than hers but I think you may enjoy her recipe.

2 lb. ground pork
1- 15 oz. can sauerkraut drained
1 1/2 tsp. salt.
1/2 tsp. pepper
1 large head cabbage washed cored and sliced in small to medium slices.
1 small can tomatoes or tomato sauce(mom used Contadina tomato sauce, I use Hunts tomato sauce
2 + small cans water
1 whole onion grated
1 large potato grated

In a very large pot place a few tablespoons olive oil.  Add ground pork, grated onion, salt and pepper.  Fry breaking up ground pork into small pieces on medium heat until browned. Add sauce or tomatoes, water, cabbage and sauerkraut. Cover slightly and toss every so often.  When cabbage has reduced and is soft add a little more water if necessary and cook until all cabbage is tender. Taste test to make sure you have enough salt.  Now peel a large potato, grate it and while stirring add the grated potato to thicken the liquid slightly.. My brother and her often had sliced fresh bread on the side.

The above recipe is the way my mom made creamy cabbage.

I don't add the potato but basically all the same ingredients and I use my crockpot.  After it is cooked to my liking I ladle some over mashed potatoes. 

Happy Cooking!







Crockpot instructions:

Cabbage, sauerkraut, salt, pepper, onion, ground pork, a small can hunts sauce and one to two small cans water. Place all ingredients in your crockpot on high 3 hours then low 3 hours. Or if you want it to cook 👨🍳 low all day it will be About 6 hours. 
An hour before serving grate one large peeled potato into ingredients to thicken if you desire.
Mom made hers in a huge Dutch oven on top of the stove adding 1 cup or more liquid. She then added grated potato and allowed to thicken slightly.

My way is in a  crockpot served over mashed potatoes. Enjoy!



From my kitchen to yours,



No comments: