Monday, August 21, 2017

Apple Glazed Pork chops

Today was the kind of day I just didn't know what to make for dinner.  I didn't feel like fussing but thought just maybe if I made a few adjustments to this recipe I had come across it could work for us.

I had most of the ingredients but was lacking two things, pork chops and apple cider.  We have a  small grocery store nearby so I sent hubby out for the chops.I didn't want to buy a large container of apple cider so I improvised and used applesauce which I always have handy in my refrigerator.  I figured other than being maybe a little thicker it could work and it sure did.

Tasty with just enough of a glaze to coat the pork chops it wound up being a very good choice.  Improvising can work and today it did for sure.  Yummy!

Recipe as written:  I will note my adjustment for you.  

1 1/2 lbs. boneless pork chops
 salt
pepper
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. chili powder
2 T flour
2 T oil











glaze
1 cup apple cider ***(Note) I used 4 oz. applesauce.  You can use 8 oz. if you like extra glaze.
1 T apple cider vinegar
2 T honey
2 tsp. Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste



In  a small bowl, mix garlic powder, chili powder and flour, pinch salt and pepper

Pat pork chops with paper towel and season both sides with above flour mixture.  Let set for a few minutes to allow pork chop to absorb moisture from pork chops.

In a large skillet over medium heat add oil.  Add as many pork chops as can fit in your pan without overcrowding.  Cook for about 3 minutes until dark golden brown on first side and then flip and cook on other side for about 2 or 3 minutes more or until you feel comfortable that it is cooked.

Transfer to plate and cover with foil.

Return skillet to heat and add apple cider or as I did the 4 oz. of applesauce, vinegar, honey and Dijon to skillet whisking to combine.  Bring mixture to a slow boil, scraping sides and bottom to de-glaze the pan.  Allow to boil rapidly for a few minutes, add pork chops to skillet, turning to coat and serve immediately.  If you have extra glaze spoon on pork chops.  Serve with boiled potatoes and green beans if desired.

 

4/25/16


No comments: