Friday, July 14, 2017

Scalloped Potato Casserole

My son and I love homemade scalloped potatoes and although they take a little more time than the instant ones they are far tastier and so delicious it's worth the extra time.

Yesterday I made some and OMGoodness...I ate way too much but I just love them!!!






Here's what I did

6 large potatoes cut thin
1 small onion grated.  I think they'll cook better grated or onion powder(I prefer)
4 T butter
1 tsp. salt
pinch pepper
1/4 cup flour
2 cups warm whole milk (no substitutes)  The casserole won't thicken properly if you use fat free.
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese(optional)

400 degree oven uncovered 45 to 60 minutes or until potatoes are tender.

This is the best way to assure your casserole won't take too long to cook.

First make sure your potatoes are sliced thin

Second  Place your butter in microwave and melt, take out of microwave and whisk in flour and warm milk.  Microwave for about 1 to 2 minutes and stir every few seconds.  Remove from oven.

Grease a 13x9 inch baking dish with butter place your potatoes and onion in layers until all potatoes are used.  Slowly poor milk mixture over potatoes.  

**(Note) If you are adding cheese shred the cheese and add to the warm milk mixture( whisk or stir well) before adding it to the potatoes.

Place casserole in a preheated 400 degree oven and bake until browned slightly and bubbly.  **Make sure there is room on top of casserole because it may overflow when it starts to bubble and you could have an oven mess.

9/18/15

No comments: