Thursday, July 27, 2017

Making Scones with Self Rising Flour!

 I have used self rising flour only once. I bought some for a biscuit recipe and today I decided to make scones using the self rising flour and trying to keep them healthier I again substituted the butter with applesauce.  They look good right now fresh from the oven so here's a few photos to show how I made them and I'll give you this recipe if you would like to make them. There is no need to add salt or baking powder since it is already added to the flour.

Note: I baked them on parchment paper since there wasn't any shortening in the recipe. You can spray your cookie sheet with cooking spray if you do not have parchment paper.

This recipe is a double recipe.  You will get anywhere from 12 to 18 scones depending on size.

Moist, tender and light in texture.  Good recipe! *Note: a healthy option



4 cups self rising flour
1/2 cup sugar plus 1 T for sprinkling on top
3/4 cup natural applesauce
2 eggs
1/2 cup dried cranberries, cherries, blueberries 
1/4 cup fresh cranberries (optional)
chopped almonds, pecans, walnuts (optional)
1/2 cup *1% milk (if batter is too thick add a little more if necessary) 
* I am sure skim can be used too!

I made these in a large mixing bowl by hand.

Whisk eggs, add applesauce and sugar continue whisking until blended.  With a large cooking spoon add flour slowly with milk. Batter will be thick and stick to spoon so keep mixing until dough looks like cookie batter.  Once all flour has blended add dried fruit. Place on well greased or parchment lined cookie sheet.

Bake 425 degrees approximately 13 minutes or until browned.

Cool and remove from cookie sheet

I'll give you the link to my original scone recipe for those who opt to use it.  Note:  The original uses butter and all purpose flour!!
Easy Drop Scones

1 comment:

DeniseB said...

These look very tasty!