Thursday, May 4, 2017

Chicken Pot Pie Muffins



Some days I don't plan meals and today was one of those days.  I did take boneless chicken out of the freezer but figured I would either make a grilled salad or sauteed dish for our dinner but I really didn't give it too much thought.  That changed after my grocery store stop.

I had been out running a few errands and stopped at the grocery store to pick up milk and caught the hot food section where what appeared to be muffins staring me right in the eye.  I glanced and asked the clerk what the muffins were and she said chicken pot pie.  I was tempted to buy them but figured since I had planned on making some sort of chicken dish tonight that I'd play with some ingredients and try my hand at making these. Easy recipe and sure yummy!

Here's what I did.  I took my 3 boneless chicken breasts, added about 7 cups water, celery and salt.  Cooked the chicken until it was tender. (45 minutes or so)  Removed the chicken, diced, and set it aside. (about 2 cups chicken).  While the chicken was cooking, I diced a carrot and a stalk of celery.  **You could add the celery and carrot to your chicken while cooking and dice it after but for some reason I didn't.  Strained the soup and drained the veggies and proceeded to make these delicious chicken pot pie muffin cups. I know you could easily saute chicken or use canned but I wanted the homemade broth so it took a few extra minutes to prepare. ** Also you could easily make this recipe the night before to save time and refrigerate it until ready to prepare.

If my text is a little wordy I am trying to say exactly how this meal was done.  I know there are more short cuts that you can take.  For example:  store bought Rotisserie chicken, frozen veggies and if necessary canned creamed soup.   I did use Stove Top stuffing mix which I usually wouldn't do as I love my own homemade stuffing but since I had a box that was about to expire I used it which turned out to be quite tasty and a nice flavorful touch

Re-post for your convenience. :)







3 cups chicken broth(homemade or canned broth)
1/2 cup milk
2 T butter or margarine melted
2 T flour
2 cups diced chicken
3/4 cup carrots and celery (or use 1/2 pkg. frozen vegetables)(I diced a carrot and a celery stalk for mine and cooked until slightly tender). Drain
1- 6 oz. pkg.(box) Stove Top stuffing mix (chicken)



 Place Stove top stuffing in a large bowl.  Set aside

In a medium size bowl place chicken broth and milk. Add flour and melted butter.  Whisk until blended.  Add cooked chicken, carrots and celery. Stir.  Pour over stuffing mix and stir until all stuffing mix is completely coated.  If necessary add a little more chicken broth so that mixture is soft and spoonable. 

Using a  LARGE  well greased MUFFIN pan place several huge tablespoons(3/4 full) of mixture. ( This recipe made 6 LARGE  muffin cup servings).


 Bake 375 degrees approximate 20 to 30 minutes or until slightly browned on top.  Remove from oven let set for a few minutes and using a small spatula remove from muffin pan.  Serve with vegetable of choice and the below white sauce. I did serve peas as an added side.



White sauce:
1 T butter or margarine
1 T cornstarch
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup 2 % milk
salt and pepper to taste




In a small pan place butter.  Add cornstarch, chicken broth and milk. Continue cooking on medium heat while stirring(use a whisk if possible) until mixture thickens slightly.  Serve over muffins. YUM


9-5-14
10/29/16
11/12/16


No comments: