Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Brocolli Apple salad with or without chicken


When I get hungry for salad it's never just lettuce.  The more ingredients the better and this one adds healthy veggies,nuts and not a bit of lettuce.

I had to stop myself from not eating the whole bowl.







Great side to be served with
Chicken or if your grilling it'll be awesome addition.

Just remember portion control. It's addicting and there is mayonnaise in it!  Next time I think I'll do half plain yogurt and half mayonnaise to eliminate some of the fat and increase healthy protein. Yummy!

I'm adding some grilled chicken to this salad to make it a meal! YUMMY!



Broccoli Apple Salad


Salad Ingredients:
3 cups fresh broccoli florets
1/3 cup sliced or shredded carrots
1/4 cup diced red onion( watch amount) red onion can leave a bitter taste
2 medium apples, chopped ( one with skin on one with skin off) Iused one Granny Smith and one Ambrosia apple.  I like crisp and juicy...
1/2 cup pecans, or walnuts, chopped
1/3 cup dried cranberries
*2 boneless chicken breasts grilled 

Dressing Ingredients:
3/4 cup mayonnaise ( next time I may use half mayo and half yogurt to cut some of the fat)
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
1 Tablespoon sugar or alternative sweetener (I used 1/2 tsp.)
1 pinch of salt

Dressing: Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, sugar, and  salt. Store in the refrigerator. 

In a large bowl combine broccoli, carrots, red onion, apples, pecans, or walnuts, and the dried cranberries. Toss the ingredients together until well distributed. Store in the refrigerator until ready to serve. Just before serving add the dressing and chicken to the salad and toss to coat. Store leftovers in the refrigerator. Enjoy!

From my kitchen to yours,



4/5/16

No comments: