Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Chicken Rice Soup

We are winding down our stay in sunny Florida and as I do when I am home I create my meals with what I have so I don't waste anything.

It's actually a very chilly day here today and for March(63 degrees)  is unusual so soup is a good choice for us.

I've been dealing with a bad knee for over 3 weeks so hubby has been doing a lot of cooking.  I decided this crockpot soup would be easy enough for me to make so I'm sharing it with you. 

You can add more chicken and vegetables if you like but considering my crockpot was not huge;it's of average size I thought the below amounts would be sufficient.  Feel free to adjust this recipe to your liking.












2 medium chicken breasts boned
2 medium carrots cleaned
generous amount of celery top or celery stalks
1 medium onion
1 tsp. salt
6 to 8 cups of water
1-14.5 oz. can chicken broth
*1/4 cup milk


2 T. Butter
1/2 tsp. onion powder or grated onion
1/2 cup sifted flour

Wash chicken and vegetables

In a medium size crockpot set on high place chicken, celery, carrots and onion. Add enough water to cover chicken and vegetables.  Approximately 6 to 8 cups. Add chicken broth.  Cook on high approximately 4 hours or on low approximately 6 hours.

Remove chicken and vegetables from crockpot.  Cool slightly and either  cut chicken or shred it. Slice carrots and celery. Place back in crockpot. *Add milk.  Note:   I also broke some of the celery tops and added them to the broth as well.

In a small pot on low place 2 T butter, a few dashes of onion powder and enough flour to make  a slight paste.  Keep stirring.  Add one to two ladles of the broth and stir or whisk well.  Add to crockpot broth and stir continually as not to create lumps.

Add 1 to 2 cups minute rice depending of how thick you want the broth.  Cover and set on low until the rice starts to thicken broth.

Add 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese if desired stirring well. Yummy!






No comments: