Tuesday, October 20, 2015

I'm making Red Lentil Soup!

It's a brisk October morning and I'm busy in my kitchen.  My head has been spinning since I found RED LENTILS......I have wanted to make this soup for two years.  Yes two years! and I finally found the RED LENTILS.  Even better because they are organic so that makes me even happier.

**I had two recipes to choose from.  Here's number one and it's the one I chose for today.



I added a few square pasta noodles for hubby's soup.  I ate mine without which I preferred.


1 T olive oil
1 large carrot diced
2 large celery stalks diced very small
1 small yellow onion diced(I grate my onion if possible which I did today)
1/4 tsp. salt plus additional if needed
1 cup organic red lentils washed
4 cups water or low sodium broth
Note:  I used 3 cups water and 1 can chicken broth
1 whole bay leave
2 T fresh squeezed lemon juice
Lemon yogurt for garnish optional 

In a medium dutch oven pot place olive oil over medium heat.  Add the carrot, celery, onion and 1/4 tsp. salt.  Stir to combine and cover the pot until veggies start to sweat and are soft . About 5 to 7 minutes or so.  Note: The smaller the pieces the quicker they will cook.  Add the red split lentils, water, bay leaf and broth.  Turn heat to low and let simmer covered until lentils begin to fall apart.  About 20 minutes.

Turn off the heat, stir in lemon juice, add additional salt to taste and serve into bowls.  Garnish with lemon yogurt if you desire.  Refrigerate leftovers for only 5 days.

I would consider this a small recipe so if you are feeding more than a cup per serving I would double recipe. 

From start to finish I'd say this recipe was prepped and ready to eat in 45 minutes.  Enjoy! 

I may add some small pasta to this when I serve it. 




Dice celery smaller than this if possible.  Since the soup is done relatively quick the celery takes a little longer to cook.  You can cook it in the microwave for 4 minutes in some water to soften it if you like and add it too the soup.





Here is the second recipe for Red Split Lentil Soup.  It's a little more involved and has more ingredients but you choose the one you want to make or make the two of them.  I'll try this recipe later on since I do have red lentils left.

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 cups diced carrots
1 cup diced onion
2 tablespoons tomato paste
3/4 tsp. cumin
3/4 cup red lentils
3 tablespoons uncooked brown rice
6 cups water
1 1/2 tsp. vegetable bouillon
1/2 tsp. coarse salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.  Add carrots and onion, cooking stirring occasionally until onion is softened, about 7 minutes.  Add tomato paste and cumin, stir to combine. 
Add lentils, rice, water, bouillon, salt and pepper: stir to combine.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce hat and simmer 25 minutes or until rice and lentils are tender.  Makes about 6 cups.

No comments: