Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Cranberry Almond Scones (udated version)


Todays orange apricot scones. 10/24/2023




Good Day everyone:  It's a gorgeous day in Pittsburgh and I'm enjoying every second of it.

As I do on a lot of early morning days since I have retired lol I like to bake. Mainly because I have lots of energy, hubby is still asleep or I realize my freezer is almost empty with my stash of breakfast grab n goes.

I'm telling you the absolute truth that these scones take no more than 10 minutes of prep and since I originally posted this recipe have found out (I) don't need to use my processor.  I do everything in my stand mixer and one two three they are ready for the oven and I don't notice any difference as you'll see in my newest photos. These have dried cranberries and frozen blueberries in them.


This one I sprinkled with cinnamon sugar


Note:  A must is allowing your butter to get soft which I do.  Before bed I take my butter out of the refrigerator.  The next thing I do is as soon as I get up in a morning I take my eggs out to allow them some time to get to room temperature.  Then I have my coffee and whatever I decide in the grab n go area to eat.  After I am finished eating I make the scones. Also you can make these in the evening too so they'll be ready for your a.m. quick breakfast.  You do not need to cover them if you do them at night.  Just place a piece of parchment or waxed paper over them until the next day. We like our scones crispy!!!

Follow the steps below as far as ingredients and save yourself some time and make a double batch using your stand or hand held mixer..  I always do.  They freeze so well and the cost of making these beat store prices and they are so much better.  At at least $1.25 or more each at a bakery and that they are handy to store in your freezer is worth the little effort it takes to make them.

So remember to use your mixer and it'll save you a lot of time.  Add the fruit at the end with a large spoon and mix gently to allow a little bit of fruit to be in each scone.  I also top a few with cinnamon sugar for a change.  

Easy Cranberry Drop Scones..We love them and they are so wonderful with a cup of coffee or tea!  Oh yes and they are mighty fine alone...yummy!

2 cups all purpose flour
1/3 cup sugar  plus one tsp..divided
2 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt(if using salted butter eliminate)
6 tablespoons cold butter(no substitutes)
1/2 cup fresh or frozen cranberries
1/3 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup milk
1 large egg beaten..
almonds, pecans and walnuts are a great addition..


**Using an ice cream scooper makes them uniform if you like uniformity.  If not use a larger spoon.




Heat oven to 425 degrees..Grease cookie sheet..Pulse flour, 1/3 cup sugar,baking powder, salt and butter
in food processor until texture of fine meal.  Transfer to large bowl. Add milk- egg mixture to mix.  Stir in fresh and dried cranberries.  Mix  with fork until dry ingredients are evenly moistened.  Bake 12 to 14 minutes or until golden..Transfer to wire rack and cool.  Makes 12 muffins.  I make 9 because mine are a little larger..Great Recipe!!!

No fail recipe and of course you can try blueberries or any other dried fruit!   

2012 Photo
  

Happy Baking!!

Note:  I use all purpose flour in my recipes...Most times Pillsbury Pre Sifted but I have used others with no problem.


No comments: