Saturday, December 13, 2014

Making some Irish Soda Bread

 Below is the original post when I made this Irish Bread.  Today I decided to try the same recipe and make mini cups using the same batter.  Using my kitchen sheers I cut my mixed *dried berries into small pieces(it really didn't take much time) and folded them into the batter before I baked them. 

They are perfect for your morning tea or coffee and I definitely would make some for company. I also did a few in *small bread loaves to give as gifts.  We love them!  Here are a few of the photos.  They have no sugar in them, just the sweetness of the dried fruit.  Jam and cream goes perfect with them as well.  I love the idea and I just had to share.  Have a great holiday and a wonderful New year.  Love, M.j.








 I originally made this recipe for St. Patty's Day but last week I was at a small social gathering(tea) and they had some similar to these made in mini muffin pans.  I thought it was a great idea and the next time I make this recipe I'm trying it in the small muffin size.  Cute size for a bite or two.  Note:  Look for smaller pieces of *dried fruit or maybe cut some with kitchen shears in bitty pieces and add to batter before baking.  Adjust baking time as well.   Enjoy!

 

I've never made Irish Soda bread. When we have our Irish stew on St. Patty's Day I'm thinking of making this recipe I caught in a local newspaper insert.. When I saw what seems to be a very easy recipe for it I decided to give it a try.


  (Epicurious.com). I'm hoping to make two loaves for St. Patty's Day but just in case I don't get a chance to make it here is the recipe.  Enjoy!!  Happy Baking and Cooking!

-->
1 cup raisins(I used dried Cran raisin's for this recipe)
4 cups bread flour
1 tablespoons baking powder
1 tsp. salt
¾ tsp. baking soda
2 cups buttermilk

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

  Lightly grease a baking sheet.  Soak raisins in hot water for 5 minutes and drain.

In a large bowl, sift flour, baking powder, salt and baking soda.  Mix in raisins

Add buttermilk and stir to form a soft dough.  Turn onto a floured work surface; knead for 1 minute.

Cut dough in half and form 2 large round loaves.

Place on baking sheet.  Cut a large X in center of each loaf.  Bake for 45 minutes or until tester comes out clean.  Transfer to wire rack.

Hands on: 10 minutes.    Total: 55 minutes from start to finish.  Makes 2 loaves

3/16/13

No comments: