Monday, December 15, 2014

Today it's Stuffed Green Peppers (Meatless Meal)

 

The recipe I made today I used variegated peppers!  


I know most people are familiar with Stuffed Peppers using  ground meat or turkey and adding onion and rice. In our house my mom made they most amazing stuffed peppers using bread stuffing. It has become my all time FAVORITE stuffed pepper recipe. It is definitely a great meatless meal with super flavors bursting in the stuffing.

This is a recipe I have shared before and honestly all my neighbors make this now as an easy meatless meal.  I am thanked over and over for suggesting it. Hope you decide to try it.. Enjoy! This recipe serves two.  Double or even triple the recipe for your family.  Happy Cooking, 

Love, <3 

M.J.

2 Green Peppers(hollowed out and washed)
1/2 stick butter or margarine
2 large stalks celery (chopped)
1 small onion
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 to 3/4 cup grated Italian cheese
pinch pepper
1 egg slightly beaten
1/2 cup milk
1/2 loaf Italian Bread(regular bread can be used as well)
1 -28 oz. can crushed tomatoes or 1- 28 oz can Tomato Sauce

Saute onion and celery in butter until translucent and tender. Break bread into pieces. Add egg, salt, pepper, cheese and milk. Work with hands until well blended..Fill peppers.

In a medium pot on low heat put 4 tsp.oil.  Place peppers in pan and cook on low heat until bottoms are slightly browned. Add tomatoes and cover pot slightly..Cook on medium heat for 1 1/2 hours or until peppers are tender.  Serves two.  I usually have a little stuffing mixture left so I make meatball size stuffing balls and add to sauce after it has cooked about 1/2 hour.  Nice addition when you love those extra carbs.  Yummy!

Serve with salad and a few slices of Italian bread for dipping if you would like...

If using crushed tomatoes add






1 tsp. or 2 fresh basil leaves and 1 clove minced garlic..but if using sauce maybe just a pinch of salt and pepper if needed..Happy Baking and Cooking!


1/25/12 

 
All recipes and their respective images are the sole property of I Like to Bake and Cook2013, all rights reserved. All content herein is meant for your personal enjoyment only and is in no way to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this site automatically constitutes your agreement to these terms.




2 comments:

Optimal Optimist said...

Thanks for sharing this recipe! I LOVE LOVE LOVE stuffed peppers - I'll have to try out this recipe very soon!

Keep Smiling :)
Vanessa from Optimal Optimist

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thanks Ness..I just made them..Yummy..Note: You may want to add a bit more cheese to the recipe for more flavor!!!Thanks for commenting :)