Wednesday, October 8, 2014

Creamy Cheeseburger Soup

I have been busy and almost dizzy with to do lists so today I got up very early (most days I do) but today it was REALLY early and since I was babysitting I knew the kids would like this soup. It has cheese in it and they love cheese! Who doesn't? Yummy ground beef, yummy potatoes and lots of cheese make this a great soup choice for your family.  Enjoy!



I have made several changes cause the stinkers are way too fussy but considering all I really liked it.  Of course I had a very small taste at 7 a.m. to make sure. Delicious!!!

***Note:  you can make this soup in the crockpot adding all ingredients except sour cream and the cornstarch.  After the soup had cooked on high for approximately 4 hours add the sour cream stir and turn heat to low and mix a little soup with
Cornstarch  and whisk into soup to thicken.

Serve with croutons.


I will cool it and then transport to my daughters house later.  Sometimes I have to cook early in the day because time doesn't allow me to make it close to dinner.  Cooling and refrigerating items the night before will work too but I had not been able to do that this time.



Here the recipe for Creamy Cheeseburger soup my way!

3/4 lb. lean beef
3/4 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup chopped or shredding carrots
1 tsp. dried parsley
4 T butter
2 cups beef broth*
1 cup chicken broth*
1-8 oz. can tomato sauce*
4 cups diced and peeled potatoes
1/4 cup flour or cornstarch 
1-8 oz. jar extra sharp cheese spread(I used B&L)* or 8 oz. sharp cheddar cheese cut in cubes
1 cup milk
1/2 tsp. salt* if necessary
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/4 cup sour cream
*1/4 cup cornstarch if needed to thicken*







In a medium size saucepan brown beef and drain and set aside.

In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven( 3 qt. or larger) (I like to have room to stir well)saute onion, carrots and celery in 2 T butter until tender.  Add  2 cups beef broth, potatoes and ground beef.  Reduce heat cover and simmer until potatoes are tender.

Meanwhile in a small skillet melt remaining butter.  Add flour, cook and stir until bubbly.  Add  1 cup chicken broth, bring to boil and cook for about 2 minutes.  Reduce heat to low.  Stir in cheese, 1 cup milk salt and pepper.  Whisk until cheese melts.  My whisk is silicone but you can use a large spoon to stir well.

Remove cheese mixture from heat stir into Dutch oven and using whisk add the sour cream until blended.

Note:  I have trouble with thickening soups, gravy etc. so I did add 1/4 cup cornstarch also to thicken the soup and it was the right consistency.  I do feel cornstarch does work better for thickening.  Toasted croutons are a wonderful topping for this soup..............Yummy!

Adapted from Taste of Home to my families liking.

* This recipe called for diced tomatoes, all chicken soup and velvetta cheese and I substituted my grandchildren's particular likes in place of what their recipe called for.  *I noted my changes! Enjoy!  Great recipe

   

No comments: