Thursday, June 12, 2014

Polenta with Red Sauce: My First Blog Post




 Three years Blogging and still going strong!

My Mother in Law served polenta on a board(large wooden cutting board)I remember eating from that board many times. We would all sit around the table, she would place the polenta in the center of the table on a large wooden board and we would all eat our section of polenta that we would mark  in our area with our fork. ( Half circle around area that we felt we would eat). She also made her sauce from freshly hunted rabbit and used ground fat back to start her red sauce.   I never knew there was rabbit meat in her sauce or I might have been reluctant to eat it. :) but sometimes the less you know the better :). It actually tasted ok.

It was a new experience for me because even though I am half Italian Mom made polenta on many Sunday's and would make it with her traditional meat sauce.
She usually spooned the polenta  into a dish the way my pictures demonstrate and topped the meat sauce with plenty of freshly grated Italian (pecorino romano) cheese
Here is the recipe that I follow to this day!  Enjoy!!

 
2 cups corn meal poured into 2 cups cold water  Stir into mixed.    Bring 5 cups of water to boil to which 1 1/2 tsp. salt has been added..  Add cornmeal mix... Cook slowly with cover slightly on(it will splash if not covered) until it has thickened..About 1/2 hour....Let it set for a few minutes before adding a Meat Sauce and grated Italian cheese..That's Italian!!!

Just a note:  This post on Polenta was my very first blog post on blogger!  5/18/11!! 

Happy Baking and Cooking from my kitchen to yours,

 M.J.
 

 







5/18/11 My first blog post!
11/2/13
5/19/13


 
All recipes and their respective images are the sole property of I Like to Bake and Cook2014, all rights reserved. All content herein is meant for your personal enjoyment only and is in no way to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this site automatically constitutes your agreement to these terms.



2 comments:

M. J. Vitelli said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

My grandmother made polenta, but she called it cornmeal mush. It was formed into a loaf, refrigerated, then sliced...and the best part? Fried in butter and topped with maple syrup!