Monday, February 6, 2023

Lemony Shrimp Salad with Couscous: Light and healthy

1/13/14


Re-post because it’s so yummy!  And healthy too!


When I started this blog my intention was to bring basic good Italian and Slovak food back into the kitchen; recipes that have been in my family since forever and my plan is to continue to do. 

 Now that summer is here a few light meal recipes might appeal to all for those hot summery days. I have had several requests for light salads which can be served for dinner or lunch.. 

I saw this recipe in a magazine and decided to try it out and I liked it.  A little shrimp for an added change. This blog is still a work in progress and I'll continue to play around with some meals that I've found to be tasty, interesting and healthy as well.

 You can be assured the Italian and Slovak food I so love will always be a part of it. You can look forward to seeing Cappeletti, Ravioli, Pasta Fagioli, Chicken Scampi, Frittatas, Potato Pancakes, Pierogi,  as well as many favorite recipes that my mom and grandmothers used to make and  I loved to eat. 

Enjoy!

Recipe:
 

1 cup Couscous
1 1/2 lb. cooked and peeled medium shrimp (check out the fish dept at the market).  You may be able to get some already cooked and will make it easy to prepare for a quick meal).
1/2 lb.sugar snap peas(microwave for a few minutes) or vegetable of choice
3/4 cup fresh basil leaves..broken into pieces)
2 scallions chopped
2 tsp. grated lemon rind
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
Lemon for Garnish if desired

Place couscous in a large bowl, add 1 cup very hot tap water with 1/4 each salt and pepper.  Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

In a medium bowl place chopped scallions, sugar snap peas, basil, shrimp and lemon rind.  After couscous has set add above and toss with lemon juice and olive oil..

Note:  You may have to add a little more olive oil if it seems dry.  Also substitute a vegetable of choice instead of peas if you so choose.  Light healthy meal..




7/5/12 
7/15/13
1/13/14




1 comment:

Jocie's Mom said...

Great summer salad :)