Thursday, September 12, 2013

Creamy Mac and Cheese with Smoked Gouda and Gruyere cheese!

  From the archives.

I have been in a bit of a funk with my baking and cooking so today I decided to get back on the cooking wagon and make some mac and cheese using two different cheeses that I haven't used to make a mac and cheese dish.  Hopefully hubby will like this!!



 I saw this recipe on:  http://lambyknits01.wordpress.com/author/lambyknits01/ and just had to try it.

I have made mac and cheese many ways but today I am venturing into the unknown.  Macaroni and cheese made with Smoked Gouda and Gruyere cheeses.  Here's recipe that I am using.

Very creamy cheese mixture. Smooth and robust flavor with a bite. I'm thinking the ground mustard


I used Radiatore pasta.  Loved how the cheese blended through the pasta

thicken and then add cheese until cheese melts

Fold in cheese mixture and toss

Serve right from pot or I baked 350 degrees just until top cheese melted.
 
Macaroni & Cheese Ingredients – adapted from PW
  • 4 cups Dried Macaroni
  • 1 whole Egg Beaten
  • 1/2 stick  butter (1/4 cup)
  • ¼ cups All-purpose Flour
  • 2-½ cups Whole Milk ( *I used 2 cups 1% and the rest was half and half )
  • 2 teaspoons (heaping) Dry Mustard, More If Desired
  • 1 pound Cheese, ( *I use smoked Gouda and Gruyere )
  • ½ teaspoons Salt, More To Taste
  • ½ teaspoons Seasoned Salt, More To Taste
  • ½ teaspoons Ground Black Pepper
  • Optional Spices: Cayenne Pepper, Paprika, Thyme
Note:  I loved the Radiatore pasta.  If you like robust/hearty type dish this dish is for you.  I served it as a side and made a green salad  to compliment it.
Directions -

Cook macaroni until very firm. Macaroni should be too firm to eat right out of the pot. Drain.

In a small bowl, beat egg.

In a large pot, melt butter and sprinkle in flour. Whisk together over medium-low heat. Cook mixture for five minutes, whisking constantly. Don’t let it burn.

Pour in milk, add mustard, and whisk until smooth. Cook for five minutes until very thick. Reduce heat to low.

Take 1/4 cup of the sauce and slowly pour it into beaten egg, whisking constantly to avoid cooking eggs. Whisk together till smooth.

Pour egg mixture into sauce, whisking constantly. Stir until smooth.

Add in cheese and stir to melt.

Add salt and pepper. Taste sauce and add more salt and seasoned salt as needed! DO NOT UNDERSALT.

Pour in drained, cooked macaroni and stir to combine.
Serve immediately (very creamy) or pour into a buttered baking dish, top with extra cheese, and bake for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly and golden on top.





 
All recipes and their respective images are the sole property of I Like to Bake and Cook2013, all rights reserved. All content herein is meant for your personal enjoyment only and is in no way to be used for commercial purposes. Use of this site automatically constitutes your agreement to these terms.






7/27/12
2/17/13 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow, this one is good, gonna use for another sport but i think it'll be just as good, BIG thanks :)