Monday, February 11, 2013

Today's Lunch: An easy meatless Reuben Burger!

I love Reuben's and when I saw this recipe in CookSmart I just had to copy it down and make it.. Not an ounce of corned beef but healthy beans, yes beans make this burger..Here is the recipe for you veggie, healthy people..Today I joined the club! p.s. for the day for sure!  I halved this recipe and it worked out wonderful.   I wasn't sure hubby would like them!  He is a meat lover guy!!  Yummy Yummy!!!!

Happy Healthy Cooking from my kitchen to yours!

I used a small crusty roll and piled it high with sauerkraut..Yummy!



I was able to make 4 small patties.  Perfect for a small bun or roll.


2 cans (15 oz. each. pinto beans, drained and liquid reserved)(I used Navy Beans) I had them!
Fork mash one can
1 cup dry bread crumbs
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp. each. ground pepper and garlic powder
1/2 cup light mayonaisse
2 tablespoons prepared cocktail sauce
6 whole wheat hamburger buns
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
6 thin slices Swiss cheese (low sodium)
2 cups sauerkraut, drained

Mix beans, bread crumbs, egg, pepper and garlic in a medium bowl, adding enough bean liquid for mixture to hold together without being wet.  Divide into 6 equal portions and flatten into 4 inch patties.  Mix mayonnaise and cocktail sauce set aside.

Warm buns in a 300 degree oven about 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.  add patties and cook, turning only once, until a crisp brown crust forms on both sides.

Top burgers with cheese slices, cover skillet, turn heat to low and let burgers continue to cook until cheese melts.

Spread cut side of each roll with the sauce.  Set burger on bun bottom, top with sauerkraut, cap with bun top and serve.


11/17/12 
2/11/13

2 comments:

Elpiniki said...

Looks delicious even without meat!

1 Recette 1 Minute said...

Your Veggie burger looks delicious!!! Yummy!!!