Saturday, February 9, 2013

Savoy Cabbage with beans,potatoes and more!

 I've learned over the years that not everyone enjoys cabbage, hubby included.  I think cabbage has gotten a bad wrap so having said that I decided I was going to make dinner with some form of cabbage and I chose Savoy.

 Savoy cabbage is a very delicate curly like variegated green in color cabbage.  Mom used to add savoy cabbage to her greens and beans meal when I was growing up.  This recipe is slightly similar but Mom used  several types of greens whereas I am using only savoy and  I am using bacon.  Mom used ham.  I added potatoes, light kidney beans, onions and chives to mine.  Mom's was very soupy, mine is not.  We both serve it with fresh Italian Bread and yes Butter!  Enjoy!

Mom's recipe is very involved but here is the link:
 Greens and Beans



Happy Baking and Cooking from my kitchen to yours,

M.J.

I bought a head of savoy at the market the other day not having a clue what to do with it so so when all else fails I thought I'd just go with my instinct and saute it with some other ingredients.

If you ever wondered what this curly green veggie at the market was "It Savoy Cabbage"!

Served with some fresh bread or rolls.  I'd call this a meal!




Here's my recipe:

1 small to medium head savoy cabbage. (I  rinsed the head and then thinly sliced it.)
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion sliced
1 cloves garlic minced
4 to 6 slices bacon cut in small pieces
small handful of fresh chives chopped
1 small can chicken broth
*1 can light kidney beans drained and  rinsed (that's all I had in the pantry)
1 medium cooked potato cubed skin removed (I cooked it in the microwave)
sprinkle of red pepper
salt if needed.  Season to taste




Saute bacon in olive oil until crispy(mine could have been sauteed more) add onion, garlic and finely sliced savoy cabbage and red pepper. Cook for a few minutes until slightly tender but crisp. Add chicken broth, cooked potato, chives and well rinsed beans.   Cook until reduced slightly and heated through.  Serve immediately.

Note: Cannellini beans could be substituted



6/2/12

2 comments:

morchella said...

Made this a few days ago. the hubby loved it. Thanks for sharing.

M. J. Vitelli said...

Thanks. I am so happy you enjoyed it!:-)