Thursday, January 24, 2013

Quick Chicken Kiev

Shortcut Thursday!!!

I wanted to try a new box dinner today.  I seldom do box anything but figured trying something with a bit less work might be a nice idea now and again.  Let's face it not everyone has time to do meals totally from scratch everyday and honestly I like to take a little break now and then that is if I'm pretty sure we are going to enjoy it.

Happy Easy Cooking from my kitchen to yours,






I'm not getting any perks from saying this but Barber Foods really does a nice job with their Chicken Kiev. All natural with multi grain breading it seemed like a product I'd be willing to try.  It did have a little more calories in one serving than I had hoped but I opted for a no butter baked sweet potato to allow for less fat.

 I had looked for a recipe to make it from scratch and since I was out and about I thought I'd stop and see if the grocery store had anything similar to what I was going to make.  A reasonable price for 2 filled chicken breasts made me think it was worth a gamble ($3.96).  I added a baked sweet potato (no butter) for me.   Hubby had a baked white potato (with butter) and broccoli crowns seasoned with olive oil and garlic.  It was a very good meal for two and the whole meal cost less than $9.00. Oh yes and all was on the table in 45 minutes or less.  I'm not saying this should be something we would do often but now and then I say Yeah!!!!

Here's the recipe I had planned to follow in case you would like to try a from scratch Chicken Kiev Meal.


Original recipe makes 6 servings 

Directions

  1. Combine 1/3 cup butter, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and 1 teaspoon garlic powder. On a 6x6 inch piece of aluminum foil, spread mixture to about 2x3 inches. Place this mixture in the coldest section of your freezer and freeze until firm. This can be done ahead of time.
  2. Remove all fat from the chicken breast. If using whole chicken breasts, cut them in half. Place each chicken breast half between 2 pieces of waxed paper and using a mallet, pound carefully to about 1/4 inch thickness or less.
  3. When butter mixture is firm, remove from freezer and cut into 6 equal pieces. Place one piece of butter on each chicken breast. Fold in edges of chicken and then roll to encase the butter completely. Secure the chicken roll with small skewers or toothpicks.
  4. In a mixing bowl, beat eggs with water until fluffy. In a separate bowl, mix together 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, dill weed and flour. Coat the chicken well with the seasoned flour. Dip the floured chicken in the egg mixture and then roll in the bread crumbs. Place coated chicken on a shallow tray and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
  5. In a medium size deep frying pan, heat vegetable oil to medium-high. Fry chicken for about 5 minutes then turn over and fry for 5 minutes longer or until the chicken is golden brown. To test for doneness, cut into one of the rolled chicken breasts to make sure it doesn't have a pink interior. Serve immediately, garnished with a slice



Iced Coffee was my beverage of choice..I'm in to Ice Coffee at the moment.



No comments: