Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Whiskey Cake Recipe from Mom's hairdresser!

Another Beautiful Holiday Williamsburg Wreath!

 This recipe was handwritten for me by my daughter when she was about 12 years old. (I love to check out handwritten recipes).  They bring back so many fond memories and this one is of  Mom's hairdresser, Mary Beth. She made this cake and Mom just had to make it too!  I remember it very well.  It is a very dense cake with lots and lots of yummy cherries and walnuts in it.  Mom used a angel food type cake pan but I think a Bunt cake pan would work fine.

I don't know if I'll get a chance to make this so I wanted to share the recipe just in case one of my great foodie friends have a hankering for something with a little spirit in it.  Love you all!!!

Happy Holiday Baking from my kitchen to yours,
M.J.

Here's Mary Beth's recipe for Whiskey Cake!!

5 eggs
2 cups sugar
1/2 lb. margarine (I'd use butter, just sayin)
3 cups cake flour
1/2 cup milk
1 cup chopped nuts
1-10 oz. maraschino cherries drained
2 shots whiskey
1 tsp. vanilla
pinch salt

Grease and flour pan.  Mix eggs, sugar and softened margarine and pinch of salt.  Add flour one cup at a time along with milk, whiskey and vanilla.  Fold in cherries and nuts.

Bake 350 degrees approximately 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

No comments: